The Hall of Fame

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Hidden Units
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 10-11-05 07:45 AM ET (US)   
Hi, all!

I would want to ask the AoE1 scenario designers here (while I am an AoE2 scenario designer and modder): Will anyone of you interested in an altered dat file that allow you to put all kinds of hidden units under gaia player tab?

Besides the Granry, you can also download it here:

AOE:ROR
http://gesneo.hp.infoseek.co.jp/empires.zip(put in Data2 folder: smokes are not included)
AOE:
http://gesneo.hp.infoseek.co.jp/empires1.zip(put in Data folder: working villagers are not included)

============================================================

All Hidden Units v0.8 (*.dats) - AoE, RoR

Ingo van Thiel: "Great discovery, lots of new toys to play with."

Andrea Rosa: "Awesome job, scenario_t_c! You've earned your place in AoE history, and a very important place. "

Richard Ames: "Oh dear, I think they missed the whole point of this feature - templates are USELESS now."

LittleFreak: "This is truly awesome."

Dangrimm: How the heck did I miss this thread all that time?

-How to Use This Utility (AoE)

1. Make a backup of C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\data\empires.dat
2. Extract data\empires.dat within the zip file into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\
3. Run Age of Empires
4. Go into the Scenario Editor
5. Click the Unit Tab, and select the player as GAIA
6. You will find that new units are avilable to GAIA player now!

Note: Some hidden units are available to normal players with Egyptian civilization instead of GAIA players.

-How to Use This Utility (RoR)

1. Make a backup of C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\data2\empires.dat
2. Extract data2\empires.dat within the zip file into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\
3. Run Age of Empires: Rise of Rome
4. Go into the Scenario Editor
5. Click the Unit Tab, and select the player as GAIA
6. You will find that new units are avilable to GAIA player now!

Note: Some hidden units are available to normal players with Egyptian civilization instead of GAIA players.

Screenshots:

Future Update:
-All hidden units for all players
-A list of hidden units

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 10-18-2005 @ 06:16 AM).]

Replies:
posted 10-11-05 07:59 AM ET (US)     1 / 153  
Sounds interesting...

Don't fear
Drink Beer!
posted 10-11-05 08:12 AM ET (US)     2 / 153  
Right now, I have found:

1.A very buggy space ship
2.an invisible tree
3.another villager
4.two cheating cars
5.unselectable aligator

posted 10-11-05 08:41 AM ET (US)     3 / 153  
I think many of us are interested in it. Recovering all hidden units and using them to make scenarios is the ultimate frontier for todays designers. Keep us informed about your findings
posted 10-11-05 08:53 AM ET (US)     4 / 153  
Ok, here is a screenshot.

posted 10-11-05 09:05 AM ET (US)     5 / 153  
Cool. The ruined temple alone would be an awesome add-on.

Then the question is: is it possible to make templates which keep these features once you run the scenario with the original dat file?

posted 10-11-05 09:22 AM ET (US)     6 / 153  
It won't affect scenario files at all. Once you change back to the original dat file, you can still see what you made with the altered one in your scenarios.
posted 10-11-05 09:37 AM ET (US)     7 / 153  
Do you realize you could be hailed as an immortal deity among the SD Forums? Please send me via e-mail a trial template. I'm in office now, however as I return home I'll test it and give you prompt feedback. Oh boys, if all of this works this guy is one step only from rendering the TradeWorkshop/Horses/Hero12/PhotonMan templates obsolete.
posted 10-11-05 09:47 AM ET (US)     8 / 153  
That would be downright awesome. Go for it.

While sausages are tasty, you might cut your finger with that pencil over there.
posted 10-11-05 09:50 AM ET (US)     9 / 153  
@Andrea Rosa

The mail is on the way.

posted 10-11-05 10:28 AM ET (US)     10 / 153  
Another screenshot:

posted 10-11-05 11:03 AM ET (US)     11 / 153  
Trade Workshop AND wild horses on the same map... *faints*

Rubbles and wall dιbris laid down as units... *refaints*

On the other hand, the others designers don't seem to have noted this yet, or this thread would be flooded by comments. Give 'em time...

posted 10-11-05 11:17 AM ET (US)     12 / 153  
w00000t the holy grail has arrived!!!!!!! Could you send me the dat file? my email: sewerized@hotmail.com How did you make it? through genieEd or something? Awesomeness!!!!

[This message has been edited by PhatFish (edited 10-11-2005 @ 11:21 AM).]

posted 10-11-05 11:21 AM ET (US)     13 / 153  
I just found a wood fence and stone fence, but they disappear once the game starts....

I think I can keep them by giving them hitpoints or something, but by doing that the users/players will need to change their *.dat files in order to play the scenario.

@PhatFish

I did it through hex editing, while I am also doing tech-editing and unit-editing for AOE2 (+ AOE1 later).

posted 10-11-05 11:25 AM ET (US)     14 / 153  
posted 10-11-05 11:39 AM ET (US)     15 / 153  
I have done most of the units (in GAIA, I am too lazy to make them in other civs ) Yet, Hero 12 and that archer with tree appearance is available for every players except GAIA.

What are left are those villagers in different forms and those dead units.

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 10-11-2005 @ 11:40 AM).]

posted 10-11-05 11:50 AM ET (US)     16 / 153  
Woah, SO MUTCH NEW UNITS!!!!!!!!!!!! Truly awesome. But...

Found a bug, when I place down cliffs they are invisible, even in-game. It runs pretty fine except for that tho.

Can you unlock even more units? There's a beta volcano, custom fire etc... I'm looking very forward to your stuff.

- PhatFish

posted 10-11-05 11:59 AM ET (US)     17 / 153  
I found a graphic slot with the name "volcano", but none of the default units is linked to it.

I admitted that the cliffs are really annoying. If you want to remove it from the list, it shall be easy. Nevertheless, invisible cliffs are treated as a map trick in AoE2 (which has trigger effect to remove them) sector, to make invisible barrier.

I think the only objects left unlocked are some more terrain decoration items, dead units and the different forms of villagers.

posted 10-11-05 12:41 PM ET (US)     18 / 153  
I ment when laying down cliffs in the terrain option, however this is in the AoE version only. Not everything works fine in the original. IHowever, it seems to run fine in RoR luckily I really like the new ruins, and keep the cliffs in .

[This message has been edited by PhatFish (edited 10-11-2005 @ 12:42 PM).]

posted 10-11-05 12:48 PM ET (US)     19 / 153  
I finished most trees, rocks and other terrain stuffs. All dead bodies are inserted as well, though they still start to decay as soon as the game start. Also, keep in mind that most of these units are hard/impossible to delete or move once they are placed onto the map. Therefore, remember to back up your scenarios.

It is still a pity that the lovely stone fence and wood fence cannot be kept without inner alteration ....

I will make projectiles(for gaia) and working villagers(for every civs).

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 10-11-2005 @ 12:57 PM).]

posted 10-11-05 02:10 PM ET (US)     20 / 153  
Now you caught my interest. Could you send me the file to pht2@gmx.de please?

While sausages are tasty, you might cut your finger with that pencil over there.
posted 10-11-05 02:14 PM ET (US)     21 / 153  
Hi scenario_t_c,

great discovery, lots of new toys to play with. I would be interested in your template, too: Please send it to van-thiel(at)web.de. Thanks in advance!

Ingo

posted 10-11-05 03:03 PM ET (US)     22 / 153  
This is truly awesome. While I am against tech editing, this will revolutionize designing for AOE. Awesome job.

By the way, all the gaia units can be used for other players by selecting them as gaia, then pressing the player number on the keyboard (eg 2 for red).

posted 10-11-05 03:09 PM ET (US)     23 / 153  
Okay, I've tested the new dat file. There are good and bad news. Some of the units make the game crash once you go back to the original Empires.dat. However many others work very well. Now with patience we have to come up with a stable template (I mean a reliable one, not a template with a Stable....)

On my computer the stone fences do not disappear. There are two new water black rock, bones which look like RoR beach articles, and many RoR units (some of which lack graphic). Things like Hero_Caesar and Hero_Zenoiba_Tower seem to be responsible for crashing the game, but as I said many others work fine.

The images (taken ingame with the ORIGINAL .dat recovered) shows Hero12, Trade Workshop, Horse, new bones (on desert), rubbles (they go even on water), 2 news water rocks, overlapped exausted farms, the mythical stone fence. Note that the House, Dock and Market are actually Gaia units, now available in a different look.

Awesome job scenario_t_c!. You've earned your place in AoE history, and a very important place.

posted 10-11-05 03:23 PM ET (US)     24 / 153  
Wait a minute......The empires.dat edited by me is intended to replace the original one in "data2" folder instead of "data" folder.

If you are playing AOE without ROR, I can make alteration to the elder empires.dat in "data" folder too.

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 10-11-2005 @ 03:23 PM).]

posted 10-11-05 03:28 PM ET (US)     25 / 153  
Oh, it was for RoR. Now I understand why sometimes the game crashes. Yes, please, make an AoE version when you have some spare time

btw, I've mentioned you on my homepage, scenario_t_c. And for the first time in history AoELR delivers such an important new before AoEH, lol.

posted 10-11-05 03:31 PM ET (US)     26 / 153  
Wow, this was quite sudden! Say, do we have the cheat units available too now? Seeing as these units are now unlocked in the editor, doesn't that mean we can add them to existing scenarios as well.

Hmmm, I guess I shall have some more material for the special units scenario, too...)

Richard Wilde
rswilde01(at)gmail(dot)com
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia
Review Thread - AoKH - GenieWiki
posted 10-11-05 03:33 PM ET (US)     27 / 153  
I have known your website for some time, and was planning to translate it into Chinese (with credit and link).

Two versions of the dat file would take me not more than two days.\

EDIT: Good to see you here too, Richard.

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 10-11-2005 @ 03:38 PM).]

posted 10-11-05 04:01 PM ET (US)     28 / 153  
Think what you could add to the Fall of the Newbs scenario. I mean the newbs could really, really cheat.

CenturionZ_1
HG Angel
AoEH Staff

'In heaven an angel is nobody in particular.' - George Bernard Shaw
Age of Empires Heaven Agetoons About Me
posted 10-11-05 04:03 PM ET (US)     29 / 153  
I have read that thread, but will I be one of these newbies?
posted 10-11-05 04:52 PM ET (US)     30 / 153  
Ok, I have just found out a traitor.......I mean a hero.

He is even a bit weaker than hero12. And for some reasons, he CANNOT be deleted, and he will not die as well. Also, if you have only him in your troop, you will lose. More importantly, he will turn to other player if you lose sight of him!

In conclusion, he is a fightable chest!

The only problem is that he cannot be healed..........

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 10-11-2005 @ 04:59 PM).]

posted 10-11-05 04:54 PM ET (US)     31 / 153  
Wow, how do you "unlock" these units so fast? You must be an expert at hex editing

Also I don't have the walls and fences in my .dat file yet. Could you sent it again please? Or are you going to edit a few more units out? Nevermind the sending then until you're done. Thanks a lot *worships*

[This message has been edited by PhatFish (edited 10-11-2005 @ 04:59 PM).]

posted 10-11-05 05:00 PM ET (US)     32 / 153  
I have had enough, download it from the link in the main thread.
posted 10-11-05 05:04 PM ET (US)     33 / 153  
Can you post the procedure to unlock them? I want to see if I can unlock the goat. THAT would be awesome, because it is not tagged in the uncompressed dat file.

"Hero" Mero
Roggan? Anonymous Ancient Villager
tcartaoe@yahoo.com

Age of Empires Heaven - AoE Cartography Workshop
posted 10-11-05 05:07 PM ET (US)     34 / 153  
I have checked the data. As what I said for the volcano, there are some graphic slots with the name of "goat", but none of them are used by any default in-game units.

I have posted a unit structure post under the tech edit thread. The boolean after the icon id means "hide in editor mode".

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 10-11-2005 @ 05:10 PM).]

posted 10-11-05 05:18 PM ET (US)     35 / 153  
By the way, to place the second ruins, select it in gaia player first, then change back to normal player and you would be able to build it.
posted 10-11-05 05:23 PM ET (US)     36 / 153  
Yes, we did the same with the templates. THIS IS SO GREAT! By the way, I'm trying to unlock the Missle-Arrow (Constant Number 04).

EDIT: YEAH! Unlocked the Trade Workshop both for players and Gaia. I could have done it about a week before, but I thought the code was AFTER the name of the unit, not BEFORE . I'll Unlock the horses now.

EDIT 2: No, wait, I unlocked the Trade Workshop for Gaia and Player 1 only.

EDIT 3: Done. All players can place it. Now the thing is giving them an utility, and making them available to build.

EDIT 4: Unlocked the Horses, and tried to make them give food, without success. Then I checked the Graphics Slots, but I couldn't find a Dead Horse. There is no "Horse_Dead" graphic as well, but an "Artifact Horse", so the horse must have been made as an invincible unit, like an artifact. The problem is, it can be killed. I'll try to make it unhuntable. It will be unaffected by catapults, but it will be a smaller bug than having them disappear magically from your screen. Then I'll try to make them appear in RM. If I'm sucessful, then I'll reply here.

EDIT 5: I unlocked the Missle-Arrow, and (naturally) the game collapsed when I tried to save a game with the 1.0c version of the game.

EDIT 6: Unlocked the Fishing Ship, which was locked(?).

"Hero" Mero
tcartaoe@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by Mero (edited 10-11-2005 @ 06:59 PM).]

posted 10-11-05 07:20 PM ET (US)     37 / 153  
Wow, speedy progress. Missiles will be useless it seems, since save games crash when they are present.

Richard Wilde
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia
posted 10-11-05 07:23 PM ET (US)     38 / 153  
Take that as an advantage. You could put it in a scenario on which you don't want the player to save, for example, or maybe we could find a new type of trigger. Also, the arrows cannot be rotated in the editor, like the flags, but maybe if we change some numbers, I can change that problem.

"Hero" Mero
tcartaoe@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by Mero (edited 10-11-2005 @ 07:25 PM).]

posted 10-11-05 10:05 PM ET (US)     39 / 153  
I am at school, try make it bigger in size.
posted 10-11-05 10:10 PM ET (US)     40 / 153  
I go to school for one day and this topic gets three pages of replies. But I see why. This is awesome you rock scenario_t_c but we should also remember BlackWatch who brought you to edit the AoE empires.dat.

Man I have to download this now.

Edit: I'll look though the language.dll and see what else may be locked away e.g. Laser Tower

The Dark Archer

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
"I once met a girl who looked like a camel" - Rasteve
Death of the Morads | AoEH Design Series II | Out From the Cliffs

[This message has been edited by The Dark Archer (edited 10-11-2005 @ 10:17 PM).]

posted 10-11-05 11:36 PM ET (US)     41 / 153  
But it 's me who brought BlackWatch into hex-editing (of AoE2).
posted 10-11-05 11:44 PM ET (US)     42 / 153  
So we thank you twice and BW once.

The Dark Archer

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
posted 10-12-05 00:27 AM ET (US)     43 / 153  
@DA

I had scanned the dll for more than five times, so hidden units with their name shown in it should not be missed.

@Mero

I forget that one of the Fishing Ships (and Trade Ships as well, if I recall correctly) is hidden, too. Thanks for reminding me that, Mero. BTW, please give me in detail what kind of unit attributes you would want to give to the horses, I think I can finish it in ten minutes.

Please list out any normal units that get hidden in the editor, so I can make the alteration even more complete.

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 10-12-2005 @ 00:33 AM).]

posted 10-12-05 00:47 AM ET (US)     44 / 153  
Some units are disabled for Gaia - for example tame lion, blind lame priest, mercenary, and most heroes. This may crash the game, but you could try making them available on the player 1 list too - if it works we can have Gaia heroes, which we none of in AoE and few of in RoR. This will be another great advance in designing as well as the beta and cheat units if we can get those extra Gaia units.

I'm also looking foward to seeing the first scenario to use these units - there must be a few new tricks that will be possible too. Since they are available "GeniEd2" style we can put them in older maps too, although I think I'll leave most of my unfinished maps in their original form, just as I don't like to change the eye candy too much in some of my earlier ones.

Richard Wilde
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia
posted 10-12-05 00:55 AM ET (US)     45 / 153  
Oh. I should've looked though the file first sorry.

The Dark Archer

posted 10-12-05 01:01 AM ET (US)     46 / 153  
This is leet, I knew I was delaying finishing the second Legend of the Stone Mountain for something

The real question is, though: How the heck did I miss this thread all that time? :O

posted 10-12-05 01:11 AM ET (US)     47 / 153  
It's only been up for one day.

The Dark Archer

posted 10-12-05 01:22 AM ET (US)     48 / 153  
And you never visit the forums

I wonder if it's possible to pinpoint where the problem is that causes saved games that have projectiles in the scenario at that time to crash. If it was possible to fix that problem it would be awesome, although I doubt it would be in the dat file, and I have no idea how you would identify the cause of the crashes.

I notice that you can't load games from one dat file to another - I'm playing Death of the Morads, and the cliffs don't show up with the RoR .dat - I should probably have not tried to use it with AoE in the first place

I'll have to see if the two different AoE dats allow saving to work between them - RoR in AoE accepted AoE saves, but not the other way round, which suggests it is just an issue if trying to use RoR in AoE.

Any ideas on why the cliffs are invisible, and the cause of save game crashes?

Also it seems some of the RoR units are visible in AoE, which is quite strange. They have changed names though, so are they different units somehow (e.g. Hero_Caesar, who would make a great long LOS hero for AoE). We'll have to go through and see which units crash the game and which don't, then we can leave out the bad ones and have a permanent .dat replacement.

Richard Wilde
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia
posted 10-12-05 03:05 AM ET (US)     49 / 153  
posted 10-12-05 05:03 AM ET (US)     50 / 153  

Quoted from Richard Ames:

Some units are disabled for Gaia - for example tame lion, blind lame priest, mercenary, and most heroes. This may crash the game, but you could try making them available on the player 1 list too - if it works we can have Gaia heroes, which we none of in AoE and few of in RoR. This will be another great advance in designing as well as the beta and cheat units if we can get those extra Gaia units.

I think there are some misunderstandings here......There is a unit set for every civilization (gaia is also a civilization) instead for every player. So, the "article" should not be player but civilization.

Althoguh there is unit slot for gaia hero12 and other stuffs, the game itself has just disabled them. If you are to make them available again, that will require more alterations which cannot be kept after restoring the original dat.

Quoted from Richard Ames:

Also it seems some of the RoR units are visible in AoE, which is quite strange. They have changed names though, so are they different units somehow (e.g. Hero_Caesar, who would make a great long LOS hero for AoE). We'll have to go through and see which units crash the game and which don't, then we can leave out the bad ones and have a permanent .dat replacement.

Use the suitable version of dat file for your game. The reason why ROR units are appearing in AOE is because the database itself is considered altered with the ROR one installed, and it could just easily cause chase.

[This message has been edited by scenario_t_c (edited 10-12-2005 @ 05:11 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » The Hall of Fame » Hidden Units
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames