Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A theory on the origin of wololo
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 03-30-12 10:10 PM ET (US)   
Latin "volo" (which means "I want". Note that in Classical Latin V was pronounced like English W).

Plus *"lo" (which in Vulgar Latin meant "him", a mangled version of Classical Latin "illo").

Thus: volo lo: I want him. Which, semantically, makes sense because a priest wants him (the enemy) to join his side.

More probably, Ensemble Studios just made up "wololo" out of the blue. But you never know :-|

Who was that Maud person anyway?
Replies:
posted 12-08-13 01:37 PM ET (US)     26 / 39  
Listen to me, this is the actual origin of Wololo. The voice was sampled out of this song, or from the same source this song smapled it. Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCNmXY4cvsA
posted 12-08-13 03:37 PM ET (US)     27 / 39  
That is reasonable. According to This, The song was made in the time from 1992-2001 and it does sound just like it.

Age of Empires: The Age of The Ring now available for UPatch.
posted 12-11-13 02:24 PM ET (US)     28 / 39  
Well, I don't think the vocals from that song sound exactly like the Age of Empires wave file.

It might be true that someone at ES actually heard the song and figured the sound was just what they were looking for for the priest's spiritual chanting, but they definitely did their own recording of it.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 12-12-13 08:46 AM ET (US)     29 / 39  
Plausible, but unlikely it was anything more than just inspiration for the sound.

StormComing (to me): "Seems like you're way under-ranked"

Check out my series of guides for the scenario editor in the link below! | Best Otto TR score

The definitive collection of my scenarios, along with my scenario editor walkthrough, recorded games, and much much more!
posted 04-19-15 06:10 PM ET (US)     30 / 39  
They DEFINITELY didn't make a new recording of it. They just sampled it out, if nt from the song, at least from the same sorce the song was sampled out.
I took the sound off the song and this is a little high-pitched in comparison with the wololo file from AOE. I managed to get it slower and matches PERFECTLY. Do it yourself, evidence will be there for you to change your mind.
posted 04-26-15 04:27 PM ET (US)     31 / 39  
I'm still skeptical, whereas the sound is similar, it's hardly a perfect match. Also, it makes little sense that ES would've sampled one single sound out of all the speech files in AoE, as it's a lot of work compared to just making one additional recording. Although of course, it might very well be the result of one employee with some free time and an interest in sound sampling (which must've been a lot rarer in 1997).

//The warrior of Isola

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 08-17-15 12:57 PM ET (US)     32 / 39  
I will bother to make a video to show you how the WOLOLO in the game, if not sampled out of the song, at least shares origin with it, despite of how much of a job it must have implied doing it back in the late 90s (I still find it a fun thing to do even today). I know it would be a lot easier to just make a mumbling meaningless sound than bothering sampling it. I will empirically prove you they are perfect matches.

Greetings from the bottom of the world.
posted 08-23-15 07:29 AM ET (US)     33 / 39  
What do you mean by bottom of the world? The south is NOT under the north, the only real bottom of the world would be the inner core of the planet :b
posted 01-30-16 08:15 AM ET (US)     34 / 39  
From all this I come up not with a theory but with a few conclusions, yet at the same time more questions: It is well know that most New Age music take their ethnic mumblings and hummings from previous recordings, though not all the time. If so, the AOE wololo was taken from the very same source as the one from the song, so it was not created by Ensemble studios, but sampled from somewhere else, just like it was from the song but trimmed and editted. Now the questions: What language was Wololo originally recorded in? What does it actually mean?
Here is the song from which you can hear much more than just WOLOLO.
ARTIST: MAXIMUS
SONG: WOLOLO
http://www.beatport.com/track/wololo-original-version-original-mix/3458629
Notice that the WOLOLO on Age of Empires is slowed down.
Good luck finding out yourselves!
(I registered on this forum just to post this comment)

And that is wrong! That song just use a sample of the "Spectrasonics - Heart of Africa 3 - -MLESOLO13.wav" I dont know if that is the same sample which is used in AOE but the wololo-original-version is NOT the original!
posted 02-05-16 06:07 PM ET (US)     35 / 39  
This is just getting more intense I see. But I can't seem to find that Specrasonics album anywhere. If that sound would prove to be abetter match it might just be it.

//The warrior of Isola

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 02-09-16 06:42 AM ET (US)     36 / 39  
From all this I come up not with a theory but with a few conclusions, yet at the same time more questions: It is well know that most New Age music take their ethnic mumblings and hummings from previous recordings, though not all the time. If so, the AOE wololo was taken from the very same source as the one from the song, so it was not created by Ensemble studios, but sampled from somewhere else, just like it was from the song but trimmed and editted. Now the questions: What language was Wololo originally recorded in? What does it actually mean?
Here is the song from which you can hear much more than just WOLOLO.
ARTIST: MAXIMUS
SONG: WOLOLO
http://www.beatport.com/track/wololo-original-version-original-mix/3458629
Notice that the WOLOLO on Age of Empires is slowed down.
Good luck finding out yourselves!
(I registered on this forum just to post this comment)

And that is wrong! That song just use a sample of the "Spectrasonics - Heart of Africa 3 - -MLESOLO13.wav" I dont know if that is the same sample which is used in AOE but the wololo-original-version is NOT the original!

That is exactly what I meant when I also pointed out that both, the song AND the monk's wololo might have been taken out of the same sample, since New Age music often samples sounds from different sources. You should read the other couple of posts I submitted. And I'm trying to download these samples by Spectrasonics. And voila. This is how you find out the origin of something. I hope the oriinal theory of this post doesn't get more wind. I found a na´ve youtuber who was trying to gain attention by spreading such a wrong theory.
posted 02-10-16 11:43 PM ET (US)     37 / 39  
Spectrasonics is a very reputable company, and unlike some other sample pack creators, it'd be very unlikely their sounds are sampled from other people's work.

I couldn't find the age of that specific pack, but it's likely that it has been created before AoE. Therefore, I'd qualify this hypothesis a very good theory now.

𝓎𝑒𝓈, 𝒾 𝓁𝒾𝓀𝑒 𝓅𝑒𝓅𝑒
posted 06-10-21 09:39 AM ET (US)     38 / 39  
Forget about that convoluted "theory" about Latin. I was right all along. The real origin of "Wololo" traces back to a sound sample by Spectrasonic, specifically from CD2, It is named MLESOLO13bit it is repeated in a few other files.
You can listen to it at 6:18
Here is my source:
https://youtu.be/h3PrYBA-9sg

OH, by the way, Check Mate, @FISK
posted 06-14-21 12:14 PM ET (US)     39 / 39  
Wow, that's insane! Also first time I've actually heard it as wololo, I'm the minority who always hear woonoonoo (See discussions on reddit)

Can we get a datestamp for when it was recorder? I found this: https://www.worldcat.org/title/heart-of-africa-vol-1/oclc/44618311
But it's a bit unclear if it's the exact same one
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition » A theory on the origin of wololo
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames