History of the scenario making :
This scenario has been made with the idea of mixing more balance points than random maps, and design.
The main idea was a desert, more clean for the eyes and less over-saturated for an original design while adding a shade of grass land in the desert to show all the best kind of design the game could give, the second idea was then to implement this grass lands like an oasis would do in the desert around water, but using waterfalls and a twisted river surrounded by vegetables among which we can feel the shade between dried desert and breathing life.
Balance, buffed and debuffed units :
Stone age :
- Clubmen buff : Persian or Macedonian villagers don't have any move speed, hp or armor bonus, it's easier for stone age clubmen to harass opponent.
Tool age :
- Slingers debuff : Players start the game with no stone.
Bronze age :
Archery range units debuff :
- Overpowered chariot archers removed from games.
- Composite bowmen restricted.
- Persian archers have less range.
- In 2v2, Macedonian have -50% stone throwers cost which counters foot archers and hoplites with +2 pierce armor.
Infantry and heavy infantry buff :
- Foot units are harder to kite with ranged units.
- Hoplites and camels can now give a better defense for Infantry against cavalries in every game.
- Villagers capacity of runing away from enemies debuffed with the removal of wheel for a more realist effect.
08/12/19 v1b2 patch notes :
-The mirror towers have been replaced by shang heavy elephants that can not attack their enemies enclosed in fortifications (kill them to unlock composite archers).
-To prevent players from deleting their enemies forests with wall foundation, all the stone has been removed except the 5 stone mines closer to the persian bases.
09/24/19 v1c patch notes :
- For the 2v2, macedonian's archery range are disabled and Hoplites are prohibited, killing heavy elephants will unlock Hoplites.
I will upload a new 2v2 file then I will rework this one to be 1v1 by removing yellow, brown and their respective king gazellas. (done 09/25/19)
12/10/19 v1E patch notes for all versions :
- King gazella removed due to randomness factor when we prefer having the tamed lion roaming.
- To balance the 3 fishes out on red side, Red now has 3 gazellas at the same spot as the 3 inner Blue's fishes and Blue has 3 gazellas at the same spot as the 3 outer Red's fishes (The tamed lion can't attack the gazellas).
- The single pine trees around the river have been slightly enhanced with 2 other tree type.
- The red side ruin has been replaced at the same area as the blue side one.
This is a pretty cool idea for a MP scenario, and the riverside area looks great. My main grudge with the map design is that the desert areas seem to only use the blank desert terrain without the generated underbrush, which creates sort of a bland and unvaried look even with the scattered dead trees and mineral deposits throughout.
Luna Lynn File Author
Posted on 08/07/19 @ 12:43 PM
Indeed but I didn't want to have a terrain oversaturated but with warm colour, if I add cactuses or grass mixes, it loses its warm looking and I don't know any item able to keep the warm colours without oversaturating it. I find it pretty warmhearting to play in. Tell me if you have anything in mind to mix the desert terrain texture, spamming earthquake seems a bit too oversaturated to me anyway and I like how the runic fields of berries are contrasted :)
Posted on 08/07/19 @ 03:27 PM
Well even if you discount the green stuff I suppose there are terrain cracks, rocks (mostly 1-4 but don't be afraid to try with the other ones), dead trees, and if you use something like the composite editor even small wall rubble can look good on a desert background. You're right that you shouldn't spam them but I think a few of them here and there can really improve the overall impression.