You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoE Multiplayer Forum
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoE Multiplayer Forum » Games with odd settings or rules
Bottom
Topic Subject:Games with odd settings or rules
Fisk
Champion of AoEH
(id: Fruktfisk)
posted 07-29-18 03:54 PM ET (US)         
In another recent thread the subject of Iron High Res RM was touched upon. While this is hardly a popular game mode among competitive players, and I agree it would probably get boring playing too many games (the scope of strategies is quite limited and Yamato can dominate pretty much any game), I'd say I look back on the few games with these settings I played back in the day with a certain fondness.

I think we're all - whether we are active MP players or not - pretty familiar with what are considered to be the "normal" ways to play the game online. RM games start in the Stone Age with default resources, though they may differ a bit in the type of map selected and use of Reveal Map or Fog. DM games always start in Iron and are almost universally played on Hill Country maps.

What I'd like to discuss in this thread are games with settings or otherwise established rules which break what is considered normal AoE meta. As such they mostly won't be suitable for competitive play, but nevertheless they may be a fun and interesting experience for a casual game.

Off the top of my head I can think of a number of odd rulesets for DM games I have played. Tool Age DM (i.e. setting Tool as the Maximum Age) is pretty hilarious, as players are forced to develop new tactics for dealing with masses of axemen and slingers.

However, IMO Foot war (Iron DM but players agree to only build Academy, Barracks and Foot Archers) plays quite similar, while offering a lot more variance as civ bonuses come into play. Of course it is also slightly imbalanced if you do random civs and players get stuck with Shang or Egypt against Choson, but in team games I have observed that even the worst of civs do have something to contribute in these games. Actually, I think a lot of the fun I've had playing these games come from the way they force players to cooperate since the individual player rarely has all the useful units in their tech tree. If you get Cho/Rome with their legions or Greece with their Cents (which have now become the fastest unit in the game), you'll still want a player with Composite Bowmen which can back up your mighty melee army.

The most broken thing I have ever attempted is probably Priest Wars. DM with nothing but priests straight up doesn't work. Even when picking Babylonia you just never convert fast enough to actually bring the game to an end, instead both players just kept massing priests and the game ended in a stalemate when we couldn't be bothered anymore.

So, do you have any stories of games with these types of strange settings or rules? Are there any rules which you have found fun enough to play with them again and again? Or do you have any stories of games so broken that you would never play them again?

Please reply.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
AuthorReplies:
Aracuan
Clubman
(id: Oldroman)
posted 07-31-18 08:51 AM ET (US)     1 / 4       
How odd would it be if playing with stone age only?

I think there would be no need to make any clubmen. Just to spam villagers to gather resources and attack enemy.
Max_CRAZY
Clubman
posted 08-02-18 11:00 AM ET (US)     2 / 4       
I have played over 10.000 aoe games online.

Considering aoe 1 universe, i played lots of diferent settings and rules:

Most popular age of empires settings on zone.com :

Aoe of empires trial: there was no iron age in aoe trial, so the most played setting was start in bronze age and resources high. Just a few would played default.

Play with build time: you cant attack each other till a pre determined time to build is over. Some folks used to call it "no rush". Helpes lots od beginners to learn booming.

Man hunt: nomad age,you cant build anything, just keep your villager alive as long as possible, last one wins, usually map was tiny and no reveal map. Actually there were some skills, using hill advantage, hiding behind the tree, scaping from lions/gators (some times lure them do enemy)

Wonder race: somes times starting in stone age Rm, some times DM iron age, whoever builds the wonder first wins.

Laser war: e=mc2trooper (or something like that) with cheats enabled, you can only make 1 photoman and delete the rest, last one wins. Hit and run as well as ground attack were the skills necessary.

DM ffa tiny; all vs all, usually random civ, tiny map, crazy!

DM islands: some times only boats, some times any unit. Minoan and yamato dominated on this setting.

2 or more vs 1: In aoe the gap between an expert and a noob ia huge, some times an expert would played against 2 or more played and many times win the game.

Scenario maps: from time to time players used scenario maps to get a diferent experience from game generated maps, from perfect map (same resources for each players) to maps like migration or chariot wars.

RM Iron high: not popular in aoe vanilla, got popular in rise of rome, was the main setting played on rise of rome demo, trial. Then some folks in ror started to played it ror full. In aoe 1, some brazilians played rm high, only attack in iron age.

Korean setting: back in time there were lots of korean players and in early aoe they most played with each other. The rule was: only attack after reach bronze age or some times iron age. Similar to what the vietnameses and chineses play now a days.

Nomad random civ no reveal : enough said.

Most played maps:
Aoe vanilla - inland / coastal / highland (specially dm)
Rise of rome - continental / hill country / medi

In RM there were some settings played: reveal map (specially brazilian players), no reveal, speed from 1.0 (usual game) to 2.0 speed (brazilians). Just a few times players would try to mix starting age and resources. Victory condition was mostly conquest. Some times it was standart (win by owning all artefacts, ruins or building a wonder and holding them for 2000 years inside game time was always funny).

I always enjoyed playing diferent and creative settings, in age games there are tons of option. Too bad most people tend to be repetitive and feel more comfortable in a setting/rule that they know exactly what to do.
Suppiluliuma
AoEH Seraph
posted 08-05-18 05:37 AM ET (US)     3 / 4       
It's over 9000!!!

Wow, that is a lot of games!
Fisk
Champion of AoEH
(id: Fruktfisk)
posted 08-08-18 04:45 AM ET (US)     4 / 4       
Yeah, great post Max! While a lot of those are what I'd consider "normal setts" there's also a great number of more interesting ones. Tiny DM FFA really just seems like a hilarious chaotic romp.

Another thing which clearly belongs in here is the game seen in the latest thread by Big_Brother. Finding these pretty much unintended possible game types in AoE this late in the game's life is just amazing.

Also, this is really weird, because I played a bunch of it back in the day, but I never figured that no Tool rushing was part of the agreement for Korean settings. I guess beeline chariot archers was just so deeply in-graved into my mind that I didn't consider anything else.

I definitely agree with you about the fun of creative settings. I think the fact that there is no defined meta is part of what makes it so fun. Watching players come up with different tactics completely on their own and seeing how they either succeed or fail spectacularly is really interesting. Unfortunately I think it is something which is very absent from the modern gaming scene, where players rather strive to master a very particular meta rather than experiment and think on their feet.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris

[This message has been edited by Fisk (edited 08-08-2018 @ 04:48 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames