You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Change/Adding Techtree in A.G.E? Can It Be Done??
posted 08-31-22 01:19 AM ET (US)   
Hello, I've created my first civilization in RoR before. Now, I want to change its Techtree too. Can it? If can, can you show me how to do it?

Thanks.
Replies:
posted 10-09-22 06:25 AM ET (US)     1 / 6  
Were you able to get the civ to show up in game? Did it work with the ai?

Editing tech trees seems quite simple. You go to the effect tab and find the tech tree for your civ or copy to create another. I dont know tho how to get those civs into the game
posted 10-11-22 07:15 AM ET (US)     2 / 6  
Already done it myself, but thanks anyway.

Adding Civs in Aoe2r (Rise of Rome) are simple enough, even too simple for me now. But first, you need a software for this to happen.

- Advanced Genie Editor (http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=11002)
- Resource Editor (http://melander.dk/reseditor/)
- Sample.ini (https://goo.gl/R49Yr1), and Clean Language-mod.dll (https://goo.gl/tpBHUA), and Clean Empires-mod.dat (https://goo.gl/f6pbl4)

Simple trick:

1. make a new folder (“Modding Tools” for example) and extract each program to its own subfolder.
IMPORTANT: Under Windows Vista and later (with UAC on) you will need to open these programs as Administrator (right-click and select Run As Admin). Otherwise you can’t save files directly in any directories under Program Files (where the game is installed by default). This is a limitation of Windows.

IMPORTANT: Always close the game before editing any files. Also, never open the same file in more than one program at once - save, then close the first program and open the file with the second program.

2. Your mod must have its files placed in a subfolder under the Mods\ directory of the game. So you have:
Mods\\
The name of your directory is also used as your mod name in the list of mods, use a clear and straightforward name with a maximum of 64 characters. It’s very important to keep your mod files only in your mod folder - the user must be able to completely remove your mod just by deleting its folder. You should keep the user's game installation clean and not replace/alter any of the original game files.

Distribute your mod in a zip file with your mod folder inside (and your mod files inside that folder), so that users can install the mod by simply exacting it to the Mods\ directory.

Required files and folders - always include them in your mod directory (and zip file respectively): (Like I told you before)
- up-mod.ini - for your mod to be valid, you need the file up-mod.ini in proper format (its structure is explained below).
- scenario\, campaign\ and savegame\ folders inside your mod directory and inside your zip file – required by the game (check the section about game folders for more info).
- All other files in your mod directory are optional and don’t need to be included. Never include files that are the same as the original game or empty (just don’t include them at all, they don’t need to be present).
- If you mod is not valid (has wrong files, missing directories or incorrect .ini file format), it will not be loaded by the game.

Always start your mod from the clean UPatch HD files -

a. up-mod.ini
The file up-mod.ini (in your mod directory) contains the basic settings and information about your mod. It’s a simple text file you can open with Notepad (open as Administrator to edit directly).

There are 2 sections inside, each with several properties. You set the appropriate number or text for each property. Optional properties don’t need to be included or can be empty, required properties must always be present. To avoid making mistakes by typing keys or sections manually, you can start with the sample ini file provided below.

[Mod_Info] section (Optional) – This section contains the text information which will be shown in the Mod Manager (under Mod Description). This whole section is optional, you don’t need to include it, but your mod will look better and probably make a better impression if you do. The Mod Manager will only show the properties that are not empty (have text). Properties in this section:
ModName= (Optional, but recommended) - the name of your mod. Should be the same as the name of your mod directory.
ModVersion= (Optional, but recommended) – version of your mod (not UPatch HD version). When you make any changes to your mod, increase the version number before uploading, so that people know it’s not the same as before (very important when your mod is played in Multiplayer).
ModAuthor= (Optional) – your nickname goes here.
Description= (Optional) – short description of your mod. The text is automatically word wrapped, for new line use the pipe character “|”. For example: “Description=This is my|new mod” will give you “This is my” on the first line and “new mod” on the second.
ModReadMe= (Optional) - the name of the local readme file, containing additional information about your mod. Needs to be an existing .txt, .rtf or .pdf file in your mod directory. The file is opened with the associated Windows program (for example Notepad for .txt). If you use this option, a new clickable button “Open Mod ReadMe” will be shown in the Mod Manager.
ModWebLink= (Optional) – A link to a web page with more information about your mod. Needs to be a valid web address. The link is opened in the user's default web browser. If you use this option, a new clickable button “Visit Mod Webpage” will be shown in the Mod Manager.

[Mod_Data] section (Required) – contains basic settings for your mod. The section itself and the required properties below must always be present. Only specific range of values are possible for the properties (check “Possible values”), not just any value or text. Properties are:
MinUPversion= (Required)
Recommended value: 1.1-R3
Sets the minimum UPatch HD version your mod requires. Using the latest possible version is highly recommended, otherwise you can't use all features and your mod may even not work properly with the latest version. New UPatch HD versions will not necessarily change this number, so for future UPatch HD releases always check the section "UPatch HD releases and changes". For information about older versions and how to update them, check there as well.
ModLanguage= (Required)
Possible values: 0-7 (1 = English; 2 = German; 3 = French; 4 = Spanish; 5 = Italian; 6 = Portuguese; 7 = Polish; 0 = Any)
Specify the language of your mod. English (1) is recommended, so that your mod can reach more people. Use “0” (Any) only if your mod doesn’t contain text changes (no dll file). Mod and game language for users must be the same when playing - if not, the Mod Manager will ask users to change their game language first.
ModSPPopLimit= (Optional)
Remember MaxPossible values: 1-255
With this property you can set the population limit in Single Player (default is 50). If not set, default will be used. Note that this doesn’t change anything for computer players, unless you make your own ai files. Default scenarios and campaigns will not play properly, as they were made for 50 pop.

b. Setting your mod to use custom number of civilizations:
There are 3 steps you need to do, they are relatively simple, but I included a more detailed instruction just in case. Follow the procedure below:
IMPORTANT: Do NOT start the game until you are ready with all the steps below or the game may crash.

c. 1. Setting empires-mod.dat:
Open your empires-mod.dat file with A.G.E, go to the Civilizations tab and add the civs you want. To avoid problems, it’s highly recommended to copy one of the available civs to a new one. Example: click on Egyptian, press the “Copy” button at the bottom left, then press “Add” - it will add an empty civ at the bottom. Now with this new empty civ selected, press “Paste”. This copies all aspects (including graphics) of the civ (Egyptian, in our case) to our new civ, so that nothing is missing or unset. Do that for all other civs you want to add.
Rename the civs accordingly so that you are able to recognize them (click on a civ and change the Name field). Don't forget this is the internal civ name, not shown in the game. You can always go back and rename them later.
That’s all you need to do for a working .dat file, leave the rest of the work for later (you need a working mod first). Now proceed to lang-mod.dll.

2. Setting lang-mod.dll
You need to do all of the steps below for all civilizations you added.

2.1. Civilization names.
Add the names of your civs as strings in lang-mod.dll. Civ names start from ID 12201, the original names end with 12216 (Macedonian). For example, if you want to add 4 new civs, you need to insert their names as strings 12217-12220.

2.2. Names of kings.
Computer players use the names of famous rulers of their civilization (kings, emperors, etc) for player names. You need to add such for all of your custom civs. You can’t skip this step, but you can use temporary names (like “Civ17-Name1”) and change them later.

The strings you need to add for new civs start from 4560. King names for Civ17 are between 4560 and 4569, those for Civ18 are 4570-4579, and so on (increasing with 10 for each new civ).

The first string for each civ (4560 for Civ17) is not a king name, but the number of king names this civ will use - must be between 7 and 9 (usually “9”). The following 9 strings (4561-4569 for Civ17) are the actual names. If you used 7 or 8 for the first string, you can leave the last 1 or 2 strings empty (4568 and 4569 for Civ17).

IMPORTANT: Always follow these rules or you will bug the game: Never use the exact same king name twice, including names used for any other civilizations (original too). You can always add "II", "III" (second, third) or any other characters to make them different and not exactly the same. The game needs minimum 7 unique names, never leave empty text strings for any of these names.

2.3. Ai files
You need to assign the ai files each of your new civilizations will use for computer players. Place your ai files in the ai\ subfolder in your mod directory, you can use empty ai files for now and replace them later. Assign these ai files for each new civ by entering the file names as new strings in lang-mod.dll. Ai files for new civs start from string ID 27111 (for Civ17), each civ has 7 ai files (27111-27117 for Civ17) and string IDs increase by 10 for each new civ (for Civ18: 27121-27127, Civ19: 27131-27137, etc). Ai file names are entered with the main game directory as starting point. For example, for the file “Civ17-1.ai” you need to enter exactly: “Mods\\ai\Civ17-1.ai”.

The 7 ai files for each civ are as follows:

Ai files 1-3 (= 27111-27113 for Civ17): ai files for Random Map - land maps;
Ai files 4-5 (= 27114-27115 for Civ17): ai files for Random Map - water maps;
Ai file 6 (= 27116 for Civ17): ai file for Deathmatch - land maps
Ai file 7 (= 27117 for Civ17): ai file for Deathmatch - water maps.

Mixed maps (water and land) are handled automatically (randomly chosen ai or land ai with few ships and docks added). This is the exact same system used in the original game.

IMPORTANT: The file names you enter must always point to valid existing files, if you change your mod directory or the names of the files, immediately update your lang-mod.dll with the correct names and location, otherwise the game may crash.

3. Setting up-mod.ini
Add a new property under [Mod_Data] section. It’s required only if you change the number of civilizations, otherwise don’t include it.

ModCivCount=
Possible Values: 1-60

Specify the total number of civilizations in your mod (default 16). If not set or if invalid value, default will be used.
IMPORTANT: Do not change this number until you have all other required components for custom civilizations ready! The number of civilizations you have in your .dat file must always be exactly the same as the number you use in up-mod.ini. By default you have 16 civs (Macedonian is the 16th civilization, not counting Gaia) and default ModCivCount=16. So if you add 4 new civs you will have the last civ with number 20 in the .dat file and you need ModCivCount=20.

That's all what you have to do to get your custom civilization working. Sc: https://upatch-hd.weebly.com/creating-mods.html

[This message has been edited by umam99 (edited 10-11-2022 @ 07:47 AM).]

posted 10-11-22 10:37 AM ET (US)     3 / 6  
Super helpful reply. Im not the OP but this is really helpful. I'm not making a mod but am editing game files (backed up of course). Could I just make an up-mod.ini, write ModCivCount=17 and place it in the data folder to change the modcivcount?

This is for DE but it looks like your instruction is good for most of it. DE uses a text document which is so much easier to deal with than a .dll, although the string numbers don't align with your dll numbers. I think my only problem now is getting the civ count to go up

[This message has been edited by potdindy (edited 10-11-2022 @ 10:43 AM).]

posted 10-13-22 01:23 AM ET (US)     4 / 6  
Yes, you have to Change ModCivCount first after you've done with creating new civilization, so it can appear in game.
posted 10-13-22 08:56 AM ET (US)     5 / 6  
Ok uman, youve been very helpful, thank you. I downloaded your mod to see if it would work in DE but it does not. I created a "Mods" folder and pasted your "rise of javas" folder in it. Is that correct?

Have you tried the modcivcount for AOE DE? That is what I'd like to figure out.
posted 10-14-22 11:06 AM ET (US)     6 / 6  
As for mod folder, that's correct.
Ofc it won't work on DE version, because it's just for old version (Rise of Rome). I haven't mod DE version because it's lag on my laptop, so...
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » Change/Adding Techtree in A.G.E? Can It Be Done??
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames