You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: I'm an Old Timer just checking in!
posted 12-19-21 02:09 AM ET (US)   
I recently found this old, archived thread...

http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,7036,16710,all

...and was propelled back to the glory days of AoE and AoK level building! I would love to get back into it again, now that I
have retired from university teaching.

But does anybody read these posts any more???

Author, playwright, and lecturer, New York City
Lead Writer, Reverie World Studios, (2008 - present)
Director of Voice Acting, Reverie World Studios, (2014 - present)

[This message has been edited by Gordon Farrell (edited 12-19-2021 @ 02:10 AM).]

Replies:
posted 12-19-21 07:56 PM ET (US)     1 / 6  
Hi Gordon! Have you checked out the Definitive Editions of AoE1 and AoE2?

The custom scenario design scene is still active -- lots of old and new designers -- but has largely moved to other mediums -- such as reddit, the official forums, and discord. The official website is also the best place to post your creations and check out creations by other designers. AoE2: DE even comes with an in-game mod manager to upload, subscribe, and check out custom campaigns all within the game client.

I must warn you that the community is quite a bit quieter (and with less personalities!) than AoE/AoK Heaven were back in the days... not nearly as much discussion. But there's also a few YouTubers (especially Ornlu and T-West) who play custom campaigns on their channels and their discords also have lively custom campaign discussion from the player side... in short, the custom campaign scene has changed a lot since the early 2000s!

Congratulations on your retirement! Looking forward to what you create next!

(Great blast from the past on that thread you linked, Gordon! Funny to see 15 year old me on there singing praises to the Persian Wars after all these years -- I went on to become one of the designers for the Definitive Editions of Age of Empires I/II/III many years later -- think you and I may be the only ones still 'active' on that thread)

[This message has been edited by Filthydelphia (edited 12-19-2021 @ 08:00 PM).]

posted 12-20-21 11:26 AM ET (US)     2 / 6  
The community for AoE2 is way larger than for AoE1, but we're still a few lurking these forums
posted 12-21-21 09:43 AM ET (US)     3 / 6  
Agree with Basse. AoE2: DE has a much more active community interested in designing and playing custom campaigns than AoE1: DE does (and certainly more than the non-DE versions). The AoE2 community is not on AoK Heaven, though -- that community has shifted to reddit, various discord channels, youtube, and the official forums. The community is larger than it's ever been but far more dispersed and much quieter / less feeling like a community.

I'm sure someone can link you to the AoE Paradise -- the Discord channel formerly associated with the Heaven Games network.

One thing that might be fun to get started is to check out some of the more recent custom campaigns for these games -- a lot has changed in the editor and in design tropes since the early 2000s!

[This message has been edited by Filthydelphia (edited 12-21-2021 @ 10:15 AM).]

posted 12-27-21 00:49 AM ET (US)     4 / 6  
Hello, can anybody here show me how to add new Civilizations in Age of Empires - Rise of Rome?

[This message has been edited by umam99 (edited 12-27-2021 @ 00:50 AM).]

posted 12-30-21 12:47 PM ET (US)     5 / 6  
Haha yes, I'm also guilty of ocassionally going back to read posts from my HG past, it's a strange mixture of nostalgia and cringe! It's really cool to see you guys coming around here after all these years.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 01-08-22 04:24 PM ET (US)     6 / 6  
Gordon, if you have any time and want to feel inspired, check out Andrea Rosa's work. Or any of the other top rated campaigns and scenario's we have. If you want to really get back in designing, there's a plethora of new tools available that can take your designing capabilities to the next level, if you're interested in that. If you have any questions feel free to drop by!
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » I'm an Old Timer just checking in!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames