Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Age 1 Per and AI File Questions
posted 10-09-21 07:02 PM ET (US)   
Hello All,

I have some questions regarding scenarios in AOE1. First- is it possible to extract ais from scenarios? In theory I heard you could decompress and compress scenarios with Trigger Studio- and edit with a hex editor. Is this really the only way? Link to DiGiT's post below

http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=2551&ci=f188f646b13f82c8d6ef3ddbcf1796e7YToxOntpOjA7YToyOntpOjA7czoxNDoiU2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHMiO2k6MTtzOjQ0OiJsaXN0ZXIucGhwP3N0YXJ0PTAmYW1wO3NlYXJjaD10cmlnZ2VyIHN0dWRpbyI7fX0=

Second, what is "learning ai" mentioned in the post here

https://aoe.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aoecgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,5929,,all

Ninetails and Axoren discuss this is setting is optional. How do you activate this on vanilla or 1.0/2.0. Does this have anything to do with the "learn.txt" file located in the Game\Learn folder?

[This message has been edited by MrElephant (edited 10-09-2021 @ 07:23 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-10-21 08:49 AM ET (US)     1 / 7  
If I remember correctly, the campaign manager can extract scenarios from campaigns, and AI/PER files from scenarios, but I'm not 100% sure
http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=7

As for learning AI, it's a legend, there's nothing like this in AOE or ROR.
I think that at some point the game developers intended to do a feature like this, but it was never implemented.
posted 10-10-21 12:03 PM ET (US)     2 / 7  
Chab-Thanks for responding on the first part. I've always seen that "Learning.txt" file, but never knew what it was about.

Regarding the Campaign Manager part of the question- that only extracts scenarios, but cannot extract per/ai files. Are there any additional thoughts regarding this dilemma?

[This message has been edited by MrElephant (edited 10-10-2021 @ 12:03 PM).]

posted 10-11-21 01:20 PM ET (US)     3 / 7  
OK sorry it seems I did not remember correctly

You can use RockNRor to get AI and PER files from scenarios, if you load the scenario in the scenario editor, then press F3 key.
Type the player number (eg 2 for player #2...) before you click the strategy or personality button, and you'll get the file contents (then you can copy-paste it to notepad or anything if you wish)
(find some screenshots here if you want)

I don't know if there is another way. If so, I guess someone from the forum will answer.
posted 10-12-21 07:47 PM ET (US)     4 / 7  
Hey Chab,

Thanks for responding on that situation again.

So I tried installing the software you created. I have the 1998 Expansion of RoR. I found my "Empiresx.exe" in the "RockNRorAdmin.exe", and I created "EmpiresX_RockNRor.exe". That empiresx_rocknror does run when opened. However, none of the function keys work when pressed in edit scenario.

The result below was received when run

Copied C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\RockNRor\\RockNRor_AOE10c.dll
Copied C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\RockNRor\\RockNRor_civs.xml
Copied C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\RockNRor\\RockNRor_ROR1.0.dll
Copied C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\RockNRor\\RockNRor_tilesets.xml
RockNRor files have been successfully copied.
File version=ROR1.0b
Tech fixes are all installed: true
Is some obsolete sequence installed: false
Wrong or unsupported version, but proceed anyway.
*** If you are using another version than ROR1.0c, you need to modify ROR_API.conf manually after the installation process
*** to replace the line 'RockNRor\RockNRor.dll by the RockNRor version that matches AOE/ROR version.
...Installing technical fixes and remove obsolete changes.
...Installing features: ROR_API support, Windowed Mode, MaxSelectedUnits.
...Installing some other useful improvements (like additional game options).
...Warning: Additional game options could not be installed. This may be due to an incompatible version.
Patched C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\EmpiresX_RockNRor.exe
== Please use the dedicated menu entry to change game resolution ==
== Please use "Edit" (CTRL-E) menu to customize other specific options/features ==
== Read RockNRor_README.txt to configure RockNRor ==
RockNRor has been successfully installed.

I changed RoR_API.conf to RockNRor\RockNRor_ROR1.0.dll

When I try to investigate or change "Manager AI", I receive the prompt "Could not retrieve all internal information. Setup may be missing for this version of the game".

Can you help explain what is going on?

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by MrElephant (edited 10-12-2021 @ 07:48 PM).]

posted 10-13-21 11:38 AM ET (US)     5 / 7  
Hello

I think you correctly installed the mod.
However you're not using the last version of the game (empires.exe), so only a few feature are available.

RockNRor supports the last version of ROR (1.0a file version, which is part of AOE 1.0c release)

I created RockNRor versions for other game versions to offer some compatibility / nice features such as windowed mode, but it's very limited.
If you want to use the scenario editor feature, run empiresx "1.0a".
Tip : if you want to keep using your game version, noo worry, I suggest you copy-paste your AOE folder, install the 1.0c patch on the copy, run RockNRor there to get the AI/PER files, and for the rest keep running AOE from your original folder.
posted 10-21-21 06:59 AM ET (US)     6 / 7  
Use RoR 1.0a version and install with admin rights. If RockNRoR is installed correctly, open up the editor and press F3 (if you're on a laptop: FN+F3), you will get a popup menu with many options including a way to view (and copy) the AI and PER for each player, as well as exporting a bitmap among other things. It's incredibly useful!
posted 10-24-21 01:00 PM ET (US)     7 / 7  
Hello Phatfish and Cherub,

Thank you both for responding, and I got it to work. I extracted a couple of ais from scenarios and got to look at them.

Quick final question then- there isn't a way to look at the default.per then for the original game.

Also Phatfish- I've sent you a couple of emails these past few weeks and a discord message- I dont know if you saw those, but was hoping to talk with you on something.

Thanks again for the help!!

Mr.Elephant
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » Age 1 Per and AI File Questions
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames