You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » Italy, Greece, and Turkey maps
Bottom
Topic Subject:Italy, Greece, and Turkey maps
rakovsky
Clubman
posted 11-24-20 07:25 PM ET (US)         
I am making a scenario about the early Roman Christians going into Exile, but I need a map that would cover Italy, Greece, and the western half of Turkey at least.

The best that I found was Joseph Santurri's Mediteranean Conquest Map (http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=751 / http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=763)
, but the land available in Italy for making a Rome city area is so small, that I am thinking of making my own map, which would take alot of time also...

Basically, there is some action going on in different parts of Rome and central Italy that would require a decent amount of space, then there is a boat ride to Greece and then there is action across Western Turkey. An AOE1 map does not really have to be drawn near to scale, but it's nicer when it relatively corresponds to real geography.

I guess I will make a new one from scratch.

[This message has been edited by rakovsky (edited 11-25-2020 @ 09:56 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Fisk
Champion of AoEH
(id: Fruktfisk)
posted 11-28-20 08:11 AM ET (US)     1 / 9       
I made one which has Italy, Tunisia and Western part of Greece. I don't believe we have a closer match than that. As a designer I often find it's rare to find a match of exactly what you're looking for, and even if you do the quality might leave some things to be desired. Be in touch if you're looking for some hints towards making a Real World Map.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
rakovsky
Clubman
posted 12-15-20 06:31 PM ET (US)     2 / 9       
OK, I made a map on my own for Italy, Greece and Turkey by following Google maps several days ago.

You wrote:

Also, I'm not sure if you think it fits or not, as the scenario shows the aftermath of the fire rather than the fire itself, but have you seen the tick of using Elephants or catapults to create burning buildings?

I am guessing that you mean to have an enemy catapult/stone thrower shoot at a house while the catapult is getting eaten by an alligator so that it doesn't destroy the house totally?
Filthydelphia
Clubman
(id: Al_Kharn the Great)
posted 12-16-20 11:35 AM ET (US)     3 / 9       
My single-scenario campaign "Dawn of Carthage" features a bit of this though might not be what you're looking for.

Fisk
Champion of AoEH
posted 12-18-20 02:51 PM ET (US)     4 / 9       
I hope your mapmaking went well Rakovsky. Regarding the burning buildings your options are really anything that deals AoE damage: Catapults, Elephants and Schythes. Normally the trick is to not have them attack the building itself, but for instance a BLP or otherwise immobile unit that stands next to the building you want to damage. Whichever you choose it's not too hard to imagine how you can go about cleaning up your triggers once they've done their work.

//The warrior of Isola

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
rakovsky
Clubman
posted 12-24-20 07:33 AM ET (US)     5 / 9       
Cool map, Filthydelphia.
What is a BLP, Fisk?
Fisk
Champion of AoEH
posted 12-24-20 09:11 AM ET (US)     6 / 9       
Generally accepted abbreviation of Blind Lame Priest.

//The warrior of Isola

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
rakovsky
Clubman
posted 01-06-21 08:01 PM ET (US)     7 / 9       
Fisk,
I just submitted my scenario that uses the Italy, Greece, and western Turkey map that I made. The map is rather accurate in terms of the shorelines and mountains and forests. I used Google Maps to find the regions and then traced a Google Map screenshot in order to make the Instruction Screen's map.

I tried to use the burning house effect in the scenario because historically the heroine was martyred in a burning house. But I wasn't able to get the burning house effect to work on my playthroughs on Hard. One factor is that a house gets burned up rather quickly. I set down a Brown house and gave Aqua a Stone thrower and set Aqua to enemy against Brown. Next, I put Red soldiers a few tiles away from the stone thrower and set Red as Aqua's enemy. In my playthroughs, either (A) the Stone thrower totally destroyed the House and then the Red soldiers destroyed the Stone thrower, or else (B) the Red soldiers destroyed the Stone thrower before it damaged the house. Whether A or B happened depended on how far I moved the soldiers from the stone thrower. So I gave up the "burning house" special effect idea and put a bunch of Aqua enemy archers who just destroy the house rather quickly.

[This message has been edited by rakovsky (edited 01-06-2021 @ 08:04 PM).]

Fisk
Champion of AoEH
posted 01-09-21 09:51 AM ET (US)     8 / 9       
Yeah see that is a mess, trying to time the death of the stone thrower to partially damage a normal house is just messy. That's why I suggest having a Catapult which attacks a unit next to the thing you actually want to set on fire, while keeping the house itself allied to the catapult owner. The idea is to exploit the splash damage of the catapult. Then you could just use an alligator for cleanup.

//The warrior of Isola

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
rakovsky
Clubman
posted 01-13-21 11:38 AM ET (US)     9 / 9       
That's why I suggest having a Catapult which attacks a unit next to the thing you actually want to set on fire, while keeping the house itself allied to the catapult owner.

In this case I was able to mostly figure out the entanglement of alliances needed to have the catapult attack his or another player's house while being attacked by yet another player. So I did not need to attack a unit next to a house instead of attacking the house directly.

My problem was that when the cleanup unit goes to attack the stonethrower, the attack distracts the stonethrower so that the stonethrower doesn't attack the house. I suppose that it wouldn't be a problem if I had two stonethrowers attacking a big building like a government center, because the cleanup unit could attack one thrower and then the other. I think that it's probably even workable with getting the stonethrowers to burn a house, like maybe using two houses, one stonethrower, and a weak unit for the cleanup crew.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames