Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Age of Empires: Beyond the Indus Expansion
« Previous Page  1 ··· 4 5 6 7 8 ··· 12  Next Page »
posted 09-01-16 03:12 PM ET (US)   
The expansion is looking promising, we are steadily doing our own part at our own pace and have made (and not made) multiple decisions regarding the expansion. Wish us luck, if you would be so kind.

Features:
Indian Building Set
4 new Civilizations - Alpha stage bonuses
X new Researches (Decided on)
5 new Units (Decided on)
New Interfaces
New Menu Backgrounds (Working on)
Game improving features
New Soundtrack (Working on)

Hurdles:
Turtle Pack Glitch, when two darkest player colours do not change player colour
Anything that is hard coded.

Notice
I would ask that people on the team would refrain from publicly sharing what the new content is in the expansion for now.

Job List:
Epd999: Data editor, Death Match AI maker
Phatfish: Soundtrack, UI
yohomes2: Modeling & Post processing
Todler: Modeling & Post processing
Chab: Software editor
Mystery Man: ...

Lost Empires Mod
Maybe it's only a fool who'll perilously journey out to what might not be there. But if you want to solve problems, you don't just solve the ones that are there, you find more and make more and go after the impossible ones.
The neanderthals never ventured into the unknown and they went extinct, so who are the fools?

[This message has been edited by Epd999 (edited 04-13-2017 @ 07:59 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-20-16 08:10 AM ET (US)     126 / 302  
posted 10-22-16 09:02 AM ET (US)     127 / 302  
I think I better Idea would be to call it an "Southeast Asian Build Set" and focus more on South-East Asia than the Indian subcontinent, just because a majority of the RoR community is from, or has close-ish heritage from the Indian subcontinent, or the "we already have some assets done for it" argument doesn't mean we have more than 1 Indian civ.

There is only so much you can do with the Indians, so it's just better to have a maximum of just having Mauryans in general, because having more of one civ that his historically the same is like having Two American Civilizations for each game the US appears in, that and obviously how Age of Empires 2 by 'Microsoft Games' or 'FE Canon' only has 1 playable Indian civilization, especially comparing to the Rise of Rome civs, that were connected to loosely with other civilizations (Even the Macedonians were a far cry from the Greeks, both in-game and IRL, as the Macedonians were the first to introduce Cavalry and Foot Archers on a massive scale in Hellenic Warfare, and how they were unified under a kingdom rather than the squabbling states of the Hellene City States)

So for Uniqueness, Age of Empires 2 Standards and "Lore", Logic and Expansion Framework, We should have four new civs that are located in South-East Asia and the Indian Sub-Continent, that are loosely related to each other, and are unique, and in no way just overshadowing 'clones' of each other, and thus just 1 Indian civ.

As mentioned above, we could keep the "Indian" theme but go with some-what related civs: Mauryans, Sri-Lankans, Bactrians, Malays, and the "South-East Asian" expansion of that could also include pretty much the list above, and anything else in SE Asia like the Tibetans and such.

(Great just What I wanted to be, an Ideas Guy again :P)

Creator of AoM Expanded Mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1828492742) and Mod on AoEWiki (Morayus1)

[This message has been edited by XLightningStormL (edited 10-22-2016 @ 09:04 AM).]

posted 10-22-16 10:15 AM ET (US)     128 / 302  
posted 10-22-16 04:15 PM ET (US)     129 / 302  
That really fits with standard UIs

I've starting working on custom tilesets and I'm making big progress.
Is there anyone that could test it when a stable build is ready ?
posted 10-22-16 11:55 PM ET (US)     130 / 302  
Ui looks great but bit too bright for my taste.
posted 10-26-16 07:48 AM ET (US)     131 / 302  
posted 10-29-16 03:25 PM ET (US)     132 / 302  
posted 10-30-16 09:31 AM ET (US)     133 / 302  
Billions of Elephants :P

Sadly i admit that besides the use of Elephants I know little of Indian military before the middle ages. I heard that the Indus Valley civization left no traces of military artifacts.

A quick wikipedia search was...disappointing:
the [Mauryan] empire wielded a military of 600,000 infantry, 30,000 cavalry, and 9,000 war elephants alone not including tributary state allies.
they mention that the Mauryans had mighty military power and their conquests confirm that but i haven't found detailed information on that regard.

[This message has been edited by Suppiluliuma (edited 10-30-2016 @ 09:35 AM).]

posted 11-01-16 05:34 AM ET (US)     134 / 302  
Hmm, Looks like you might have to expand to south-east asia as well after all.

No but really do it, there is no point having 100% of the content rooted in India, and you guys really shouldn't miss the opportunity of SE-Asia, as well as India to cover.

Creator of AoM Expanded Mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1828492742) and Mod on AoEWiki (Morayus1)
posted 11-02-16 10:37 AM ET (US)     135 / 302  
Would love elephants moved to academies though
I'm in favor of freeing up space in the Stables & Archery Range.
We could look at it like a place to train unique units like the age of kings castle, with unique technologies as well.
Not sure if we should stray too far from the current concept or change the existing civs too much.
I thought a druid would be a kind of defect unit that lowers line of sight, attack and/or speed of enemy units in its Line of Sight
That's impossible in the current game.
An upgrade to Elephant Archer would be good, but what do people think of a totally new kind of elephant unit that could be added
I haven't modeled elephants yet so it wouldn't be for any time soon that we can have a new elephant unit.
As for new game modes, I recently developed a "Age of might and magic" mod where units sometimes spawn as epic (with unique - improved - attributes), and where units can reach levels (and get better attributes) after killing a certain amount of enemies.
I think this is better suited for a fantasy mod.
I've thought about adding a mod where you can choose random civs (civs tech tree and bonuses are generated at game start, randomly). Strategy generation would allow this mod to be compatible with SP games. But I've not worked on this at all at this point.
Also a very extensive feature that would require a lot of change. Simpler and easier features are more feasible.
One of the biggest reason most large community projects fail is due to unrealistic goals. We should go for a small scope and add things only after that's done.
Hmm, Looks like you might have to expand to south-east asia as well after all.
Who said we wouldn't?

[This message has been edited by Jan dc (edited 11-02-2016 @ 04:11 PM).]

posted 11-03-16 01:57 PM ET (US)     136 / 302  
triggers too were unrealistic (or strategy generation)...

[This message has been edited by chab (edited 11-03-2016 @ 01:57 PM).]

posted 11-04-16 04:20 AM ET (US)     137 / 302  
triggers too were unrealistic (or strategy generation)...
I'm not doubting your capabilities, spawning epic units or creating random civilizations is just not what I think is in the scope of an expansion. Fully implemented new civilizations, units and campaigns are and that should come before anything else.
posted 11-04-16 03:09 PM ET (US)     138 / 302  
Looks like you might have to expand to south-east asia as well after all.
This is what ES did with RoR, I think this would be a great idea.
I'm not doubting your capabilities, spawning epic units or creating random civilizations is just not what I think is in the scope of an expansion. Fully implemented new civilizations, units and campaigns are and that should come before anything else.
I'd say any new kind of optional game mode is welcome (since it is optional, you can turn it off with a click anyways). Main focus should indeed be the core stuff that makes up the new expansion however.
posted 11-04-16 03:22 PM ET (US)     139 / 302  
posted 11-05-16 03:32 PM ET (US)     140 / 302  
@Highwing, I would like to talk to you privately about your work on exotic worlds and was wondering if you could contact me vie skype or email.

If anyone has any suggestions for civ bonuses feel free to share.

Lost Empires Mod
Maybe it's only a fool who'll perilously journey out to what might not be there. But if you want to solve problems, you don't just solve the ones that are there, you find more and make more and go after the impossible ones.
The neanderthals never ventured into the unknown and they went extinct, so who are the fools?

[This message has been edited by Epd999 (edited 11-05-2016 @ 03:33 PM).]

posted 11-05-16 10:07 PM ET (US)     141 / 302  
I sent an email to the address in your profile.
posted 11-06-16 07:22 AM ET (US)     142 / 302  
I thought discord was in and skype out :P

Back on topic: It seems like you all have great ideas. I am anxious to see how these will be implemented.
posted 11-10-16 10:09 AM ET (US)     143 / 302  
posted 11-10-16 12:34 PM ET (US)     144 / 302  
I don't mind it. Though it does make it stand out, for better or worse.

Lost Empires Mod
posted 11-10-16 03:16 PM ET (US)     145 / 302  
I like it!
posted 11-12-16 10:08 PM ET (US)     146 / 302  
So what's new with this project of late?

I was wondering what the consensus was for new terrain. Snow of course isn't necessary for a mod that focuses on Southeast Asia, but it would still be great to have. Snow wouldn't be too unreasonable for the mod if you consider the Himalayas, and it could have uses elsewhere anyway.

But what about other terrains? Bamboo? Leaves? Roads? New kinds of trees? Just throwing out some ideas...
posted 11-12-16 11:46 PM ET (US)     147 / 302  
So what's new with this project of late?
Nothing is going on, we haven't gotten anywhere our teamwork is horrible and it's a complete mess (tries to hide mischievous grin)
But what about other terrains? Bamboo? Leaves? Roads? New kinds of trees? Just throwing out some ideas...
We have not yet made any decisions on what terrains to add but the terrains bamboo and leaves have been added to the list.

Lost Empires Mod

[This message has been edited by Epd999 (edited 11-12-2016 @ 11:48 PM).]

posted 11-13-16 06:32 AM ET (US)     148 / 302  
Phatfish, why is the font of the hyperlink to this thread different from the others in the forum?
posted 11-13-16 03:49 PM ET (US)     149 / 302  
Because the project is awesome (don't listen to Epid).
posted 11-13-16 10:13 PM ET (US)     150 / 302  
Great Red Angel please bestow thy holy greatness onto thees unique topic. Please let the faithful seraph have they're fun grasping their new found powers. (Smiles mischievously, looks at Jans comment, smile widens )
The project is going really well

Lost Empires Mod

[This message has been edited by Epd999 (edited 11-13-2016 @ 10:14 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 4 5 6 7 8 ··· 12  Next Page »
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » Age of Empires: Beyond the Indus Expansion
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames