Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Pre-game maps in DE
Bottom
Topic Subject:Pre-game maps in DE
Aracuan
Clubman
(id: Oldroman)
posted 01-16-19 06:06 AM ET (US)         
Just like in the official campaigns of DE, I want pre-game maps in my scenarios. Anybody know how did they put those in the official campaigns? Reason I want to put them because I want my work more complete.
AuthorReplies:
Ingo van Thiel
Clubman
posted 01-17-19 07:05 PM ET (US)     1 / 8       
Ive been wondering the same. Placing introduction maps in custom scenarios seems to be impossible at this point, sadly, so how come it works in the original campaigns?

Probably a bug. Even embedded images in old AOE\RoR scenarios that youtransfer to DE simply dont show, although their name still is listed in the Cinematics menu.

My new double album, "Song Machine Vol. 1 and 2" with 24 of my songs is online now on Spotify, iTunes, Amazon and most other online services. Check it out, it's published under my name.
Aracuan
Clubman
posted 01-19-19 03:48 AM ET (US)     2 / 8       
Whether it was a bug or not, maybe the devs could fix this just like they fixed the chat bar bug...
Al_Kharn the Great
Clubman
posted 01-19-19 11:44 AM ET (US)     3 / 8       
Sorry, but bitmaps are not supported by Age of Empires: Definitive Edition.

Filthydelphia Creations
Tristan & Iseult ~ 1st Place (tied), 2014 Historical Scenario Design Contest
City of Peace ~ 2nd Place, 2014 Minigame Competition
Dragon's Head, Serpent's Tail ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Defend the Spot Competition
Ragnar's Raids ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Historical Scenario Design Contest
Complete Campaign Collection
Ingo van Thiel
Clubman
posted 01-19-19 06:36 PM ET (US)     4 / 8       
Do you know if any other format is supported, e.g. jpg?

The official campaigns in DE have visible, working inteoduction maps too. So somehow the DE game does seem to allow it but not for custom scenarios....

My new double album, "Song Machine Vol. 1 and 2" with 24 of my songs is online now on Spotify, iTunes, Amazon and most other online services. Check it out, it's published under my name.
Aracuan
Clubman
posted 01-20-19 03:51 AM ET (US)     5 / 8       
Al_Kharn The Great, do I remember right, do you have some relations to Forgotten Empires studios?
Al_Kharn the Great
Clubman
posted 01-21-19 03:30 PM ET (US)     6 / 8       
Do you know if any other format is supported, e.g. jpg?

The official campaigns in DE have visible, working inteoduction maps too. So somehow the DE game does seem to allow it but not for custom scenarios....
Full disclosure, I do not know much about those official maps. For my campaigns, I chose the map locations and the distribution of the blue/red faction colors, but the actual art and implementation were handled by others on the team. I do not know for certain how they were implemented into the game, but my guess is they are png files placed into the game by a json framework that is not accessible to users.

I know this was a beloved (and also sometimes frustrating!) feature of custom scenario design and it is unfortunate that some really beautiful works that designers spent a lot of time and care on are not longer supported.
Al_Kharn The Great, do I remember right, do you have some relations to Forgotten Empires studios?
Correct. I am on the campaign team.

Filthydelphia Creations
Tristan & Iseult ~ 1st Place (tied), 2014 Historical Scenario Design Contest
City of Peace ~ 2nd Place, 2014 Minigame Competition
Dragon's Head, Serpent's Tail ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Defend the Spot Competition
Ragnar's Raids ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Historical Scenario Design Contest
Complete Campaign Collection

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 01-21-2019 @ 03:33 PM).]

Aracuan
Clubman
posted 01-22-19 04:40 AM ET (US)     7 / 8       
Al_Kharn, since you know them, could you ask(if you want) how did they exactly do it?
PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 01-27-19 06:55 AM ET (US)     8 / 8       
Not including the pre-game maps for custom scenarios but only for the official campaigns is something so incomprehensible that it defies any logic. How could this have been overlooked... we should get a partial refund because of the game not being finished... but that will never happen.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames