Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.15 replies
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Rebirth of Babylon
Bottom
Topic Subject:Rebirth of Babylon
patine
Clubman
posted 10-02-15 04:54 PM ET (US)         
So, my last few question threads have not been in vane - they've been leading up to this. I plan a campaign (I'm not sure how many scenarios yet) about the rise of the Neo-Babylonian Empire as it's former rulers, the Assyrian Empire, meets it's demise, ranging from 626-539 BC. The first scenario, which has a good start on it, details just securing the independence of the City of Babylon under Nabopolassar (Nebuchadnezzar II's father and predecessor) after the death of the last king to unify the Assyrian Empire, Ashurbanipal. The various enemies you face throughout the campaign are four claimants as successor to the Assyrian throne: Sin-shumu-lishir, Ashur-etil-ilani, Sin-shar-ishkun, and Ashur-uballit II, as well as several rulers of Egypt, Judah, Cilicia, and the Phoenician City-States and Arab Bedouins, whilst the Medes, Persians, Parthians, Scythians, and Cimmerians change sides several times in the campaign.
AuthorReplies:
PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 10-04-15 06:27 AM ET (US)     1 / 15       
If you need playtesters when you have a beta version available, don't be afraid to ask away.
patine
Clubman
posted 10-07-15 07:21 PM ET (US)     2 / 15       
I will certainly offer it for playtest when it's workable, as I myself have always been (shamefully) a better scenario designer than actually player of the game. It's pretty much that way for most computer strategy games I play. :
Gumble
Clubman
posted 10-07-15 11:38 PM ET (US)     3 / 15       
You are speaking to the choir, patine. I get way more of a kick creating a scenario and hearing people really enjoy it than competitive gaming. Best of luck with your Neo-Babylon campaign. It is interesting to see a focus in the middle east cultures as the current campaign development theme.

Seh-Mystical's Persian campaign will take off where patine's Neo-Babylon's campaign ends...

Too many people say far too much about Gumble. They also claim Gumble says far too much which isnt true.

One man's truth is another man's lie. Seek TRUTH to escape this moral mire.

'Experts' try to analyse human behaviour and the human condition and make grand conclusions. - Its the same as the guy who explains why a joke is funny and kills the joke.
patine
Clubman
posted 10-11-15 01:38 AM ET (US)     4 / 15       
Here's an annoying issue already. I wanted, as an early part of the first scenario, Nabopolassar and his Bit Kaldu tribe of Chaldeans to "recruit" some Mercenaries from a camp on the way to liberate Babylon amidst the chaos and anarchy of the Assyrian succession war. I had thought the easiest way to do that would be to set up a Gaian camp of Mercenaries and have Nabopolassar "recruit" them by marching into the camp. Annoyingly enough, however, the Mercenary unit is inexplicably absent from the available list of units you can place for Gaia in the editor. Is there any way around this?
chab
Clubman
posted 10-11-15 04:51 AM ET (US)     5 / 15       
Use AGE3 to enable the unit in scenario editor.
patine
Clubman
posted 10-12-15 07:48 PM ET (US)     6 / 15       
Alright, it's become pretty clear that this campaign needn't (even shouldn't) really go outside the reigns of Nabopolassar and Nebuchadnezzar II, and perhaps Neriglissar for his successful campaigns against Cilicia, but Amal-Marduk and Labashi-Marduk essentially were both assassinated before being able to do anything meaningful as Kings and Nabonidus just seems like one of those monarchs you often see at the tale end of many empires whose actions all seem to lead to the once great nation's demise. So, I think those three significant Kings will be the actual focus of my campaign and I'll either ignore the others or briefly mention them in 'History' text tied to various scenarios.
Gumble
Clubman
posted 10-14-15 02:29 AM ET (US)     7 / 15       
Patine, for the Mercenaries, you could place them under the control of a passive computer player. Provided they are spaced individually far apart they should still change over to your control when you move your units near them.

Read about them in my guide here:

http://aoe.heavengames.com/siegeworkshop/mapdesignandtricks/secrets-of-the-darkest-arts-of-scenario-design-by-gumble/

Under the mercenaries heading.

I agree with your assessment of Nabondius and Balshazzar, they are only really famous for losing to the Persians. That said, Nabondius built there world's 1st archaeological museum which is pretty neat.

Too many people say far too much about Gumble. They also claim Gumble says far too much which isnt true.

'Experts' try to analyse human behaviour and the human condition and make grand conclusions. - Its the same as the guy who explains why a joke is funny and kills the joke.
patine
Clubman
posted 10-23-15 04:24 PM ET (US)     8 / 15       
A question, if anyone knows this. I've read from several sources that Neo-Assyrians and Neo-Babylonians had elite warriors who were better trained and armoured than their compatriots that these sources just call "royal guard" or even just "elite professional warriors." Now that I likely have the ability to rename units thanks to Highwing, I had considered renaming the Hoplite to such a unit, but I would like, if anyone knows this (I can't find a mention online after hours of searching) a more indigenous Mesopotamian language name than just "royal guard." Is anyone aware of an appropriate term?

[This message has been edited by patine (edited 10-23-2015 @ 04:25 PM).]

Gumble
Clubman
posted 10-25-15 02:45 PM ET (US)     9 / 15       
I'm afraid not Patine, I simply used 'Royal guard' for my Babylonian elite warriors. When I hear about different unit types in the Assyrain army they refer to their best troops simply as 'Heavy Infantry'.

As it happens I used Hero Jason to be the Royal guard for my scenario. I liked the unique look that distinguished Royal guard from regular troops. That, and you cant retrain them. Makes them extra special.

[This message has been edited by Gumble (edited 10-25-2015 @ 02:47 PM).]

EpiC_Anonymous
Scout
(id: SeH_Mystical)
posted 11-08-15 09:48 AM ET (US)     10 / 15       
very nice work so far man! i love the images u have posted! i am dying to play it myself!! your FAR better at the map design than i am though lol. i have not got major talent for that. I am working still on figuring out where i want to start after i did a basic scenario of uniting the Persian tribes... what do u think? i lost my maps do to some error with the game and being forced to reinstall.. and sorry for being late to reply... i am in school and working now to.

"In 1678 doctors diagnosed a mental affliction soldiers suffered from as 'nostalgia' - homesickness, a longing to return to the past. The cruel reality of war is that there is no return home. No return to innocence. What is lost, is lost forever. Like my father, war's wounds have bled me dry. No words of comfort; no words of forgiveness. No words at all."
patine
Clubman
posted 02-06-16 08:50 PM ET (US)     11 / 15       
Alright, I have been silent for a bit. The thing, I have the map, players, and tentative unit and building placements for the first scenario lined up. I'm just not yet sure how to close that scenario. How's the best way for Nabolpolassar and his Bit Kaldu tribe of Chaldeans to decisively defeat two Assyrian military leaders and rival aspirants for the vacant throne in Nineveh and capture Babylon (in it's initially reduced state) without sacking the city putting to the torch (the city might be useful later, after all :P )? Any advice, in general, on that regard, would be quite helpful.

[This message has been edited by patine (edited 02-06-2016 @ 08:52 PM).]

patine
Clubman
posted 04-13-16 01:50 AM ET (US)     12 / 15       
So, any advice about the idea of CAPTURING rather than destroying a city? I'd considered making the city itself it's own separate civ, with only Villagers and Fishing Boats being at all buildable, and the player just needs to kills an enemy purely military civ (with both the Player civ and the enemy civ neutral with the city civ) and the goal (at first for that first scenario) is to destroy the enemy military civ with only minimal damage to the city civ itself, while fulfilling the two other tasks already in place that Nabopolassar must live and the Relics of Hammurabi the Great (a Relic unit) must be delivered to the Great Temple of Marduk (Wonder) in the city itself. Does that sound reasonable and workable for the objectives for the first scenario of this campaign?
edeholland
Clubman
posted 04-13-16 06:31 AM ET (US)     13 / 15       
I recall a scenario from Andrea Rosa where the player had to destroy a certain city's military buildings without destroying any houses. This is one option and is somewhat challenging, because you need to control your units and catapults carefully.

Your suggestion would also work and would be much easier, because you can just set your stance with the city to ally and you only need to watch out for splash damage.
You can make it so that the city changes diplomacy and you lose whenever you accidentally damage something with splash.
patine
Clubman
posted 04-01-18 06:57 PM ET (US)     14 / 15       
I haven't popped onto this forum for a while, but I plan to have a renewed crack at this campaign once I hear more of solid information about this Steam revised AoE1. Just so everyone knows, this scenario is not dead - it just fell into a bit of a hiatus.
shellshockers
Banned
posted 11-01-18 02:47 AM ET (US)     15 / 15       
A very interesting topic that I have considered. I am very happy to read your post. Thanks for sharing!

removed spam links. /Fisk

[This message has been edited by Fisk (edited 11-02-2018 @ 03:27 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames