You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » David Saga II Three Roads to Hebron help requested
Bottom
Topic Subject:David Saga II Three Roads to Hebron help requested
Gojoseon
Clubman
posted 07-23-10 06:12 AM ET (US)         
Hi there guys,

I'm wondering how to lure the left hand side catapult to the yellow tower and chariots?

The solution I've theorized is that rather than having the swordsman lure the catapult by going to the right, it's better that he go to the left (after the catapult is past the chokepoint in the trees), then the catapult will move right and the tower will shoot it. But so far I haven't gotten it to work, because of the sheer range of the catapult (even with the scouts and micromanaging the units to avoid the rock).

Anyone know how to get past it?
AuthorReplies:
Suppiluliuma
AoEH Seraph
posted 07-25-10 12:24 PM ET (US)     1 / 9       
That's too specific which is good...i wonder if any of the regular posters hasplayed that scenario.
Basse
Clubman
posted 07-25-10 12:41 PM ET (US)     2 / 9       
I have only played Ingos campaigns I think.
Gojoseon
Clubman
posted 07-28-10 11:32 AM ET (US)     3 / 9       
Why don't you guys play it and come back to this topic, then. Absolutely awesome campaign from start to finish--quite challenging in some respects, too! And elegant puzzles that, once solved, aren't bogged down because the execution takes forever (which is kind of a problem I see in other campaigns).
Gumble
Clubman
posted 07-29-10 06:18 PM ET (US)     4 / 9       
Right, sorry should have responded to this earlier. Gumble did this campaign way back but even then the solution is obviously. Because the catapult does not have advanced targeting you simply just rush it with the scouts. the scouts speed coupled with the catapults lack of accuracy means you should have no problem destroying it without any casualties. If you can't do that just have one scout distract the catapult whilst the other goes in for the kill. Try hotkeying the scouts so you can move them quicker.

If you liked the david campaign so much you'll be interested that one of Gumble's current projects is in fact a campaign on King David but more in depth than the one made by imotep. If you like you can playtest a scenario or two. Just leave your email address here. Alternatively Gumble's email is located in any file of his work for example. 'The Prophecy of Raviyal - The Awakening, part 1 the Island of Ugahond'

Too many people say far too much about Gumble. They also claim Gumble says far too much which isnt true.

One man's truth is another man's lie. Seek TRUTH to escape this moral mire.

'Experts' try to analyse human behaviour and the human condition and make grand conclusions. - Its the same as the guy who explains why a joke is funny and kills the joke.

[This message has been edited by Gumble (edited 07-29-2010 @ 06:21 PM).]

sabinscabin
Clubman
posted 10-30-18 04:00 AM ET (US)     5 / 9       
i know I'm necrobumping this eight-year old post, but I'm playing the scenario and have the exact same question as the OP. The previous post by Gumble completely misses the point: it describes how to *destroy* the catapult, which is trivially easy, while the question was how to *lure* the catapult to destroy the towers and chariots (in the scenario instructions, there's a hint specifically saying to make those two teams fight each other, so it seems likely this is what the scenario designed, Imhotep, intended.

Anyone who has played the David Saga II campaign by Imhotep (perfect 5/5 rating, designed back in 1998) know how to solve this puzzle? The only way I've gotten past the tower and chariots was to fight them with the long swordsman and scout I started with, plus both composite bowmen from the *other* two paths providing backup fire, luring one chariot at a time (for one of the bowmen, I had to complete his entire path, then loop around so the two bowmen can be in the same place). Even with this careful setup, both my scout and long swordsmen were at single digit HP. I can't help but feel that the obstacle was designed to be passed by tricking the catapult to attack it, but I can't tell how.

EDIT: I solved it! Here's a video I just took of that segment: https://youtu.be/WRn3TbXbVR0

[This message has been edited by sabinscabin (edited 10-30-2018 @ 04:18 AM).]

Fisk
Champion of AoEH
(id: Fruktfisk)
posted 10-30-18 05:36 AM ET (US)     6 / 9       
Without remembering the scenario, I'm not quite getting the question. Catapults are slow, should be easy to lure it where you want?

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
sabinscabin
Clubman
posted 10-30-18 11:16 AM ET (US)     7 / 9       
yes catapults are slow, but the specific case in this scenario is actually quite nontrivial to perform, and was not obvious at all initially to both myself and the OP. The reason is that there are cliffs between the unit you are using to lure the catapult and the tower and chariots you are trying to destroy. These cliffs block you from luring the catapult any further, so you need a *second* team of units *beyond* to lure the catapult the rest of the way, after the first team intentionally gets destroyed by the catapult.

It's kind of hard to explain by text; see the video link posted in my last post for an actual successful execution of that part of the scenario.

EDIT: You don't actually need the second team; the catapult will automatically see the tower and chariots and start attacking them, provided that the first team was as close to the tower as possible before the team died. This can be seen in this video: I just recorded a full playthrough of this scenario, on hardest / fastest setting. https://youtu.be/_k5OHCi1EAA

[This message has been edited by sabinscabin (edited 10-30-2018 @ 12:07 PM).]

Fisk
Champion of AoEH
(id: Fruktfisk)
posted 11-02-18 07:22 AM ET (US)     8 / 9       
Wow, that's a really neat map for such an old design piece. That Imhotep really did have some talent.

Either way, great job working out the problem on your own. In these kinds of situations you can always just save right before you start messing around with the catapult and then reload the game until you get it right.

I also notice how you brute force your way through some of the puzzles. The intended solution isn't to fight the Lion Kings, but to scare the gazelles in their direction, which will pacify the Lions when they kill them.

I just love watching other people play old campaign pieces on youtube. So relaxing!

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
Al_Kharn the Great
Clubman
posted 11-02-18 11:39 AM ET (US)     9 / 9       
This puzzle gave me fits for a while, too! Fortunately, I think Imhotep knew it would take some figuring out because he wisely put it at the very start of the scenario so you'd be fine with restarting a few times to get it to work. Never ideal for a designer to put a challenging puzzle towards the end of a scenario!

I think this level shows that AoE/RoR is at its best on a small-scale, with only a few units moving around an interesting world. I think Imhotep knew this and these sort of small-scale puzzle/FF scenarios were among his best. The first half of the finale of David Saga I (Wilderness Odyssey) is also an excellent puzzle/FF sequence.

Filthydelphia Creations
Tristan & Iseult ~ 1st Place (tied), 2014 Historical Scenario Design Contest
City of Peace ~ 2nd Place, 2014 Minigame Competition
Dragon's Head, Serpent's Tail ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Defend the Spot Competition
Ragnar's Raids ~ 2nd Place, 2016 Historical Scenario Design Contest
Complete Campaign Collection
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames