You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » Explain all heroes- Corlis? Mor Havoc?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Explain all heroes- Corlis? Mor Havoc?
Nakul
Clubman
posted 06-12-00 03:48 PM ET (US)         
Don't explain Alex, Amon Ra, Persues, Jason, and RoR heroes,. Hector, Xerxes, Tiberius, but tell about the others.

More Havoc?

Here-is-fun?

Corlis?

Nakul

AuthorReplies:
The Phoenix
Clubman
posted 06-12-00 05:25 PM ET (US)     1 / 7       
This is not fair. You ignore my thread on heroes and start a new one yourself.
Nakul
Clubman
posted 06-13-00 11:05 AM ET (US)     2 / 7       
Mine is for explaining- yours is a statement.

I'm not giving opinions, i'm asking for anwers.

Also, I like keepint this forum alive with all these new threads- look at this, all these people who keep posting are mostly the same!

Nakul

PS im so lazy id rather click once and start a new thread than click another thime, read the whole thread, then click and answer my opinion, and then ask the question.

Nakul

rakovsky
Clubman
posted 04-05-21 06:14 PM ET (US)     3 / 7       
The AOE series Fandom page for Mor Havoc says:
Hit points 180
Range 12
Speed Medium

He has 180 hit points and a range of 12. The name seems to be a word play from Ensemble Studios with "More Havoc". Except for the hit points, he shares the same properties of Hero Amon Ra, having a 40% speed increase, but civilization bonuses, Polytheism, and Afterlife do not affect them.

The unit's model is identical to that of a trainable Priest.
I commented there:
The Mor in Mor Havoc probably is a play on words meaning both Saint and More.

Havoc has a clear meaning (ie wrecking chaos), so that leaves open the meaning of the "Mor" in "Mor Havoc." In modern English, "Mor" has no meaning in common usage. It means "sea" in Gaelic, but that doesn't fit the context. "Mor" in Western Aramaic means "Saint." "Saint" as the meaning of "Mor" goes along with
(A) the fact that AOE1 already has a "Saint Francis" hero who looks the saint as the Mor Havoc character, and with
(B) the fact that the Mor Havoc unit looks like a religious figure (ie priest or monk or Moses), and with
(C) the fact that the AOE1 Designers already had Judeo-Christian connotations in their Ark and St Francis units, and with
(D) The Mor in Mor Havoc would fit grammatically as a substition for the St. in a Saint's name (ie. Mor Havoc vs. St. Havoc).

I did see something online like Mor being a Hebrew Israeli term used instead of Mr., but I wasn't able to confirm that Israelis use "Mor" as a replacement for Mr.

[This message has been edited by rakovsky (edited 04-05-2021 @ 06:15 PM).]

PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 04-06-21 06:40 PM ET (US)     4 / 7       
Hersifon was an architect of the temple of Apollo.

Corlis - Remains a mystery... could be a reference to a writer.

Hero 12 - Leftover from beta no name hero.

Hero traitor - a no name traitor, once a hero who has turned to the other side, invicible.

Other heroes are pretty much straightforward I guess.

Long live the old threads from the past...
rakovsky
Clubman
posted 04-07-21 11:20 AM ET (US)     5 / 7       
You referenced William Roger Corliss (August 28, 1926 July 8, 2011) He
was an American physicist and writer who was known[2] for his interest in collecting data regarding anomalous phenomena.
(SOURCE: WIKIPEDIA)
Also,
A Corliss steam engine (or Corliss engine) is a steam engine, fitted with rotary valves and with variable valve timing patented in 1849, invented by and named after the American engineer George Henry Corliss of Providence, Rhode Island.
However, the Corlis character's name is spelled with only one S, unlilke the writer and a big majority of other famous Corlises.

Gaylord D. Corlis got a silver star in the European Theatre of WWII (https://valor.militarytimes.com/hero/46394).
But it's "only" a Silver Star and there is not much about him online, so he is probably not the person referenced.

I guess that it's an "inside" reference like a few of the other hidden units have, like "Winsett's" cars. eg. Maybe a designer had a friend named Corlis

[This message has been edited by rakovsky (edited 04-07-2021 @ 11:23 AM).]

rakovsky
Clubman
posted 04-07-21 11:26 AM ET (US)     6 / 7       
The Mor Havoc character came to mind while I have been making the early Christian scenarios because Mor is West Aramaic (eg. Syrian and Palestinian Aramaic) for Saint. eg. Saint Gabriel would be called "Mor Gabriel." I take his name as a double entendre for "Mor" (Saint) because he looks like a priest unit and "More" as in "More Havoc."
rakovsky
Clubman
posted 04-07-21 12:44 PM ET (US)     7 / 7       
In the Granary, Suxit posted a campaign called "Life of Mor Havoc" in 1998 (http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=644&f=1&st=0&ci=).

I am guessing that it isn't some kind of semi-official campaign for this character because the contents of the campaign are to create an "empire" (not what I think of for a More/Mor Havoc priest unit), the Instruction screens were kind of non-existent, making it seem like not very good quality, and the Designer's other scenarios don't seem semi-official.

By Semi-Official, I mean campaigns made by the official Designers, like how PhillySouljah, who is part of the Design Team, made some AOE1 scenarios like his AOEE Ark scenario that aren't part of the official campaigns. The reason that "Semi-official campaigns" are relevant is that they would show what the Game Designers had in mind when they made these hidden units.

[This message has been edited by rakovsky (edited 04-07-2021 @ 12:46 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames