Please login or register

Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Return of Rome DLC
posted 11-15-22 05:56 AM ET (US)   

Hey all! So this was just announced, what do you think about it? I am cautiously optimistic

There's a few things I worry about which I'd like to hear your thoughts on:

1. How do you feel about AoE1 being gobbled up by it's offspring? This is both meant as a joke and a serious question. Do you think that instead of announcing it as a DLC Age2DE should be renamed to reflect both games (equally)?

2. What is the current state of the chat censorship in AoE2DE? Has it become better or worse these past few months? I don't own the game and would like to know. I want to communicate normally in MP, and last time I checked the chat was horrible and server side, very very slow.

3. How is AoE2DEs performance nowadays, has it improved over the past few months? I specifically mean resource hogging and memory leaks, which seem to occur on various set ups (not all though), what I meant is has any optimization of the engine been done and these issues finally been tackled?

4. What do you expect and what would you like to see?

I am all for it if done right. It is by all means a logical step to take, also from a developers point of view since AoE2DE is superior technically, it would make no sense using the older genie engine. Most unique unit quirks can be recreated using triggers too. And I do prefer the better AI and numerous features of AoE2DE over that of AoE1. Gameplay would certainly be an improvement. And I can see expansion DLCs coming with Indians (beyond the indus) and perhaps Celts, Scythians in the future. This is the one reason why AoE1DE is being incorporated. Will it be perfect for everyone? No, that is not what I expect at all. Treat it with respect, and you may just have me onboard.

"We are AoE2DE. We will assimilate you. Resistance is futile."
Replies:
posted 11-15-22 03:23 PM ET (US)     1 / 9  
I'm all for it, AOE1DE clearly did not receive the proper treatment... Just watch the armored elephant having an epilepsy, poor thing

A lot of other units have problems: some have a smooth shadow, some a sharp one. Some jiggle slightly while standing (all units where impeccable in the original game!). It is so depressing seeing this game still half-finished.

The addition of formations and game replay might bring some fresh air too.

[This message has been edited by Kelu (edited 11-15-2022 @ 03:24 PM).]

posted 11-16-22 03:13 AM ET (US)     2 / 9  
posted 11-21-22 03:53 PM ET (US)     3 / 9  
1. Hm... it seems more or less like an admission that AoE1 DE is pretty dead as a mutliplayer game. I guess it makes more sense for something which uses the "AoE2 engine" to be bundled with AoE2, but I'd rather have seen these changes make their way into AoE1 DE as options when playing. In practicality so many people will just assume AoE2 (or presently also AoE4) when you talk about Age of Empires, I don't even think a rebranding is necessary.

2. I think they still censor the first half of my name, that said I don't run into a lot of issues with it in general as I did maybe a year ago. The state has defintely improved since release.

3. It crashes less for me than when I first got it, otherwise I wouldn't really know as I can't say I experienced much issues to begin with.

4. I honestly think I would rather have seen them try to do something more unique with the general concept of ancient era civs in the AoE2 engine than just migrating AoE1 into the new engine. Like, a professionally made mod can be great fun, but when it's just a rebrand of an existing game well... I don't see it garnering a lot of long term interest. Like, I guess I don't mind it, but I can't say this is something that excites me personally either. It's essentially just having two variations of the same game, neither of which is very likely to get a more active MP community than what we have in the present day. So yeah, I'd be open to them taking more creative liberties with the idea given what we know so far.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 11-26-22 08:52 AM ET (US)     4 / 9  
Wait, you Viet people pay a monthly fee to play? Why not play on voobly or something lol.

Well I've jumped the gun and finally purchased AoE2DE while on steam sale. Got a good deal. I don't think a full name change is necessary but IMO it should be seperate and its own thing within AoE2DE while reflecting the original name, not become "just" another DLC.

What the hell is wrong with Fi? Ridiculous lol. The censor is M$ corporate policy bullshit which I will never support. Whoever thought of that and implemented it in this way should be struck down with an ancient spear. There are better ways to prevent trolling that are not this annoying to the average player and they should be seriously considered.

From what I've seen the game has indeed become more playable and stable but it's not perfect yet.

As for the last point, it seems (rumour) that it is a complete new remaster of DE. *fingers crossed*

[This message has been edited by PhatFish (edited 11-26-2022 @ 08:52 AM).]

posted 11-28-22 07:31 PM ET (US)     5 / 9  
Can play for free with some limit and VIP around 1.5$ per month in Ego play or G-play.
Voobly has an English interface, but everyone is familiar with Vietnamese.
posted 12-04-22 10:09 PM ET (US)     6 / 9  
Honestly I don't want more Age II DLC content. Rather I would like to see them use the current engine powering Age of Empires II to create a game that's Rome era centric. Marry the periods between Age 1 and Age 2 by including civs that played a party during Rome's existence and it's fall. That's a game I'd like to see.

I'm sure you could keep it interesting as well if you followed the same formula of age advancement, resource acquisition, and technological improvement.

A story about Rome and the neighboring civilizations around it.

And yes I know we already have Rise of Rome that has campaigns about Rome. But now that we have better technology and tools why not use them to give Rome a bigger spotlight?
posted 12-06-22 01:29 AM ET (US)     7 / 9  
play Beta version
From 3 Dec 2022 to 13 Dec 2022
https://www.ageofempires.com/insider-signup
you will have email from
Age Insider Program
Guide how to active AoE Rise of Rome Remake.

Information here it's too long to translate so you can use Google Translate
https://www.facebook.com/aoe.vtcgame/posts/pfbid02gCpDruXcT7qeQVQcrzCjA1JdbsrwGvX6LYByNyxrptjjV1dmAHcxtHB1vH3JFkmEl

[This message has been edited by Bichho (edited 12-06-2022 @ 02:29 AM).]

posted 12-06-22 09:23 AM ET (US)     8 / 9  
Thanks for posting the info Bichho! I did a quick auto translate:

Screenshot

Adjustments in this AOE re-make (update)
Going through the farms
Options for "Walk Through Farms" can be opted in-game settings. Default setting is across the farm. You can opt to install "Solid Farm" in the host/lobby to avoid going through the fields.
Spectator mechanism
There is a spectator mechanism that allows players to watch the games live (optional when setting up a host/lobby)
Technology supplement in BC
- Increase your vision
- Speed up the military (minus the marine)
- Upgrading BE to accommodate 8 people
The mechanism of buying gold in BM
- Exchange 100 real/wood = 50 gold, 100 stone = 65 gold (golden army no longer has resource restrictions on map)
Continuous working feature
- Keep shifts to assign farmers / soldiers to do things in order (VD you can let people build BE then shift to the wooden tree, after construction the people will go to chop wood)
- BG, BS, BN houses after construction will automatically work with the nearest resources
- Automatically refresh the farm after the farm is finished (costing wood)
Re-balancing the troops
Team bonus: is the advantage activated for yourself and your allies when playing 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 modes

𝐀𝐬𝐬𝐲𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐬:
Farmers move 10% faster
Also has 25% faster shooting speed
Upgrading cannons reduces 50% cost
Team Bonus: BK Firefighter asks for military service quickly 15%
𝐁𝐚𝐛𝐲𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐬:
Farmers dig stones 20% faster and bring +2 more stones/turn
Horse R +1 armor
Upgrading in BM market 30% off cost
Wall and sink +60% HP
Blood recovery 30% faster
Team Bonus: Farmers build houses 10% faster
𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐚𝐧:
Start the game with +50 resources per type
Auto has the bloodhead technology right from the beginning of the battle (only applicable when BN is present)
Skewer and elephant +25% HP, camel +15% HP
Fire boat +25% power
Carrier ships move 25% faster
Team bonus: Fire boat + 1 armor
Choson:
Nutrition axe, BB is +5/15/20/60/80 HP
Upgrade BS home technology reduces 40% cost
Market +2 long range
30% cheaper than the cost
Team Bonus: City wall +4 vision
𝐄𝐠𝐲𝐩𝐭𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐬:
20% off wood in the field
Farmers dig gold 20% faster and +2 gold/turn
Horse R +33% HP
Phu +3 far range
Bonus Team: Phu +1 armor
Greek:
BN asks citizens to raise their lives 10% faster from the 2nd generation
Skewers move 30% faster and 20% cheaper
Boats move 20% faster
Phu auto has technology to run fast and increase the speed of conquest (only available when you have BP)
Team Bonus: market reduces construction costs by 50%
Hittite:
Units provide +1 con
Cannon +50% HP
Battleships (minus fire ships) +2 life range 2, +3 life range 3 and 4
Wheel technology research reduces 50% costs and time
Team Bonus: Market provides 4 population limits (similar to BE)
Macedonian:
All army short war +2 vision
Skewer Y +1 armor in life 3, +2 armor in life 4
BK artillery factory is 25% cheaper
Fighting Phu is better than other armies
Team Bonus: Cavalry +25 HP
Minoan:
Boat price is 30% cheaper
Palace A +2 long range
Farmers farm 10% faster
Team Bonus: boat house (BD) 20% discount on wood costs
Palmyran:
Farmers price 75 real, +1 armor and work 25% faster
Start the game with +75 real
Camels move 25% faster
Transferring resources without tax
20% discount for gold transfer
Team bonus: Technology research is 30% faster
𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐢𝐚𝐧:
Hunter works 30% faster and brings +3 more reals/turns
Elephants move 25% faster
Battleship is faster than 15/20/25% than 2/3/4 life
Walls are 20% cheaper
Team Bonus: BL recruits 25% faster
𝐏𝐡𝐨𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐧:
Farmers chop wood 20% faster and bring +2 more wood/turn
Elephants are 25% cheaper
BD +4 vision, +150 HP
Team Bonus: Different types of arches +2 vision
Roman:
Construction 10% cheaper (except city, skunk, winner)
More than 40% cheaper
BB slashed 33% faster
Team Bonus: Blood recovery 50% faster
Shang:
Farmers price 40 real
Start the game with -40 real
Slaughtering horses +10% attack speed
City wall +60% HP
Team Bonus: BN provides 4 population limits (similar to BE)
Sumerian:
Farmer +15 HP
Cannons shoot 30% faster
Field +125 real
Camel +1 armor
Team Bonus: BN reduces construction costs 25%
Yamato:
People move 10% faster
Fish boats work 20% faster
Horse and Horse C price 15% cheaper
Boat +20% HP
BL and BA upgrade 30% off cost
Team Bonus: BL and BA discount 33% wood.

Some of the translations make little sense so keep that in mind. This info is subject to change since it is beta. Shang slaughtering horses are awesome by the way.
posted 12-06-22 07:32 PM ET (US)     9 / 9  
haha, good translate, also "Shang slaughtering horses" mean "types of melee horses"
Thank Phatfish, this beta will ends on December 13.
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition » Return of Rome DLC
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames