Please login or register

Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Return of Rome DLC
posted 11-15-22 05:56 AM ET (US)   

Hey all! So this was just announced, what do you think about it? I am cautiously optimistic

There's a few things I worry about which I'd like to hear your thoughts on:

1. How do you feel about AoE1 being gobbled up by it's offspring? This is both meant as a joke and a serious question. Do you think that instead of announcing it as a DLC Age2DE should be renamed to reflect both games (equally)?

2. What is the current state of the chat censorship in AoE2DE? Has it become better or worse these past few months? I don't own the game and would like to know. I want to communicate normally in MP, and last time I checked the chat was horrible and server side, very very slow.

3. How is AoE2DEs performance nowadays, has it improved over the past few months? I specifically mean resource hogging and memory leaks, which seem to occur on various set ups (not all though), what I meant is has any optimization of the engine been done and these issues finally been tackled?

4. What do you expect and what would you like to see?

I am all for it if done right. It is by all means a logical step to take, also from a developers point of view since AoE2DE is superior technically, it would make no sense using the older genie engine. Most unique unit quirks can be recreated using triggers too. And I do prefer the better AI and numerous features of AoE2DE over that of AoE1. Gameplay would certainly be an improvement. And I can see expansion DLCs coming with Indians (beyond the indus) and perhaps Celts, Scythians in the future. This is the one reason why AoE1DE is being incorporated. Will it be perfect for everyone? No, that is not what I expect at all. Treat it with respect, and you may just have me onboard.

"We are AoE2DE. We will assimilate you. Resistance is futile."
Replies:
posted 11-15-22 03:23 PM ET (US)     1 / 5  
I'm all for it, AOE1DE clearly did not receive the proper treatment... Just watch the armored elephant having an epilepsy, poor thing

A lot of other units have problems: some have a smooth shadow, some a sharp one. Some jiggle slightly while standing (all units where impeccable in the original game!). It is so depressing seeing this game still half-finished.

The addition of formations and game replay might bring some fresh air too.

[This message has been edited by Kelu (edited 11-15-2022 @ 03:24 PM).]

posted 11-16-22 03:13 AM ET (US)     2 / 5  
posted 11-21-22 03:53 PM ET (US)     3 / 5  
1. Hm... it seems more or less like an admission that AoE1 DE is pretty dead as a mutliplayer game. I guess it makes more sense for something which uses the "AoE2 engine" to be bundled with AoE2, but I'd rather have seen these changes make their way into AoE1 DE as options when playing. In practicality so many people will just assume AoE2 (or presently also AoE4) when you talk about Age of Empires, I don't even think a rebranding is necessary.

2. I think they still censor the first half of my name, that said I don't run into a lot of issues with it in general as I did maybe a year ago. The state has defintely improved since release.

3. It crashes less for me than when I first got it, otherwise I wouldn't really know as I can't say I experienced much issues to begin with.

4. I honestly think I would rather have seen them try to do something more unique with the general concept of ancient era civs in the AoE2 engine than just migrating AoE1 into the new engine. Like, a professionally made mod can be great fun, but when it's just a rebrand of an existing game well... I don't see it garnering a lot of long term interest. Like, I guess I don't mind it, but I can't say this is something that excites me personally either. It's essentially just having two variations of the same game, neither of which is very likely to get a more active MP community than what we have in the present day. So yeah, I'd be open to them taking more creative liberties with the idea given what we know so far.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 11-26-22 08:52 AM ET (US)     4 / 5  
Wait, you Viet people pay a monthly fee to play? Why not play on voobly or something lol.

Well I've jumped the gun and finally purchased AoE2DE while on steam sale. Got a good deal. I don't think a full name change is necessary but IMO it should be seperate and its own thing within AoE2DE while reflecting the original name, not become "just" another DLC.

What the hell is wrong with Fi? Ridiculous lol. The censor is M$ corporate policy bullshit which I will never support. Whoever thought of that and implemented it in this way should be struck down with an ancient spear. There are better ways to prevent trolling that are not this annoying to the average player and they should be seriously considered.

From what I've seen the game has indeed become more playable and stable but it's not perfect yet.

As for the last point, it seems (rumour) that it is a complete new remaster of DE. *fingers crossed*

[This message has been edited by PhatFish (edited 11-26-2022 @ 08:52 AM).]

posted 11-28-22 07:31 PM ET (US)     5 / 5  
Can play for free with some limit and VIP around 1.5$ per month in Ego play or G-play.
Voobly has an English interface, but everyone is familiar with Vietnamese.
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition » Return of Rome DLC
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames