You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition » Returning to the game on Windows 10: the menace of the grey squares
Bottom
Topic Subject:Returning to the game on Windows 10: the menace of the grey squares
saedog
Clubman
posted 06-08-20 09:27 PM ET (US)         
After almost a decade i return to this wonderful game and forum thanks to self-isolation and the sudden interest of my wife on playing aoe together. So i took the dust off my old cds and i wont say it was easy but managed to install a functional game copy in both of our Windows 10 personal computers. The problem we have been experiencing though are some large grey squares graphic glitches that appear suddenly on the screen and start expanding. The only i can see in these squares are units but no "ground" textures.
I've tried almost all possible combinations pf compatibility, screen resolution and color configuration but still happens. Im starting to believe my old cd wasnt in good shape but i find it weird its the only problem i have,besides some occasional lag. Does anyone have another solution?
Ps:I thought on downloading the upatch hd with the hope my graphic glitch gets fixed. But I'm concerned we wont be able to play multiplayer which is the main idea, or that the game experience changes too much. Any feedback on that will be most appreciated.
AuthorReplies:
Kastanje57
Clubman
posted 06-09-20 08:51 AM ET (US)     1 / 5       
Hi,
Hopefully this will help you install and play the game without problems.

Before installing the game, you should open the windows control panel. (I'm dutch speaking, so I don't know the exact names but i will give it a try)

In the control panel you choose Programs.
On the left side you'll find: Turn windows features on \ off.
After choosing this, you scroll down to where it says: Legacy Components --> Direct Play.
You mark this one.
Than, close the control panel and restart your computer.

Next you install the old game from the cd and also the Upatch so you can get the game full screen.
As far as I know, multiplayer games won't give any trouble as long as the upatch is installed on all computers that are in the multiplayer game.
I'm not 100% sure though.
Apart from that, you need the upatch to play the game without using the cd all the time. (I don't like the noise it makes)

Without the upatch, the game should run too but on screen it is limited to 1024 pix.

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Kastanje57 (edited 06-09-2020 @ 08:53 AM).]

saedog
Clubman
posted 06-10-20 04:08 PM ET (US)     2 / 5       
Thanks for answering. I forget to say it but i did installed and activated direct play. Now ive realized thay those grey squares only show up where villagers (mine or computer) have been chopping down trees.
Guess im gonna download the upatch if no one else has an idea.
Fisk
Champion of AoEH
(id: Fruktfisk)
posted 06-11-20 05:42 AM ET (US)     3 / 5       
So... it sounds like a graphic bug specifically related to the stump object? And it's present on both computers? I can't say I've heard of anyone running into anything similar before. It might suggest something wrong with the Graphics.drs file, but this is very speculative. If that would indeed be the case, you could try replacing the one in your game folder with something like the one included in Zapdotep's Composite editor. Just don't replace the empires.dat as it will make your game unplayable.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 06-12-20 07:08 AM ET (US)     4 / 5       
I recall having this exact same weird thing after I did a hex edit of the empiresx.exe file just to see what would happen. That was like 14 years ago or so.

This should not happen at all, either your files are corrupted or Win10 is having a field day.

Try some of the official patches or upatch if that's your thing.

saedog
Clubman
posted 06-17-20 08:53 PM ET (US)     5 / 5       
I installed the upatch and still happening lol. Maybe i try the composite editor thing, i guess its corrupted files. Thanks all of you
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames