You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition » Age of Empires for Mac?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Age of Empires for Mac?
pinkerton
Clubman
posted 05-02-20 11:48 PM ET (US)         
We have only Mac computers here at my house, and I would like to show my kids Age of Empires. My favorite scenario was Holy Man from the Babylonian campaign (I think). I went to Steam to see if I could purchase it, but it looked like the version they had was only for Windows...
AuthorReplies:
ephestion
Clubman
posted 05-03-20 00:47 AM ET (US)     1 / 5       
Not sure if it works but you will need a virtual machine, capable of gaming. They (internet sources) say that Boot Camp is your best Virtual Machine for Windows Games on Mac. Basically you get two operating systems on the same device. But the problem is you need to reboot to use.

[EDIT] Not sure if it handles Direct X 11 either.

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde
"I don't think I'm smarter than you because you believe in God. I think I'm smarter than you because you're absolutely nuts. -Stormraider responding to me."

[This message has been edited by ephestion (edited 05-03-2020 @ 05:43 AM).]

PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 05-03-20 01:55 PM ET (US)     2 / 5       
If you want to play Definitive Edition, then yes you need a virtual machine with windows 10 to play.

Otherwise, check amazon/ebay for the Mac edition of the original game

pinkerton
Clubman
posted 05-03-20 04:23 PM ET (US)     3 / 5       
That sucks! Maybe I should get a used Windows laptop or desktop. Running a virtual Windows on a Mac is a pain, as we did it years ago to run a statistics program...

So, do you think that I could get the original version? Would that be on a disk? My current Macs don't have a disk...maybe I could put it on one of my old Mac minis...How would I know that it could be used on a Mac?

It would be awesome to show my kids the Holy Man campaign. I love that thing!
PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 05-04-20 04:36 AM ET (US)     4 / 5       
Well, before investing in a lifetime of guaranteed endless fun, you and your kids can always try the Mac demo, which is free:

http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=2550

I'm not sure how it's different from the windows trial versions since I never played it but it should be great. I had a great time with the RoR trial before I got the Gold Edition.

pinkerton
Clubman
posted 05-07-20 11:54 AM ET (US)     5 / 5       
Yes! I will do that. I love free demos! I first saw this game working in a group home with kids, and I was so impressed. Then I got it as a gift for my cousins who live in Greece. They loved it. Now my kids are old enough to check it out. Thanks for the demo link! I will see how it goes.

Ok, so I did download the Zip file. Then I was told that my stuff it expander cannot expand the file. I am wondering if you use a certain "expander" software to deal with compressed zip files?

[This message has been edited by pinkerton (edited 05-07-2020 @ 12:18 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames