You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.6 replies
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition » Wrong colors
Bottom
Topic Subject:Wrong colors
AyCe
Clubman
posted 02-23-20 04:45 AM ET (US)         

-------
EDIT: I've installed a new graphics card and drivers. I also plugged my monitor into a different connection slot. The resolution when opening the games also seems to have changed. One or some of those things fixed it.
---------

Hi community.

I'm having color problems with several old games (Railroad Tycoon 2, Anno 1602, Age of Empires 1,...). I think they are related, but I'm not sure.

This is NOT about the "kill explorer.exe" fix. I know that other color bug and already solved it in one way or another. This is something different, and I'm out of ideas.

I've already installed the latest graphics drivers. I'm using Windows 7 64 bit.

See here: https://imgur.com/a/U3yPcGV

The screenshots (2 images on the bottom) look fine, but it's rendered incorrectly on the screen (same with the other games). Maybe my screen settings are wrong, but it worked correctly some months ago. The photos (3 images on the top) I took show some of the wrong coloring.

For Railroad Tycoon 2 I've solved it by switching "8-bit graphics" to "16-bit graphics" in the options. No idea why the game "reverted" to 8-bit graphics at some point (used 16-bit all the time before). It might be that the other games are now using a similarly restricted palette all of a sudden. AoE 1 does not have such a bit depth setting to my knowledge though.

Help regarding this would be very much appreciated. I'm not only asking to fix my AoE1, but all of my old games that exhibit this bug. :|

The error does not seem to appear in safe mode.

[This message has been edited by AyCe (edited 04-15-2020 @ 08:29 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Fisk
Champion of AoEH
(id: Fruktfisk)
posted 02-24-20 06:09 AM ET (US)     1 / 6       
You've probably already tried this as messing around with the compatibility settings is normally a first move when an old game doesn't behave the way you want it to, but it's worth a shot. Are you running this on Windows? If so I believe there should be a setting for color depth in the compatibility settings if you right click the executable.

Please update us if you ever come across a solution to your problem.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
AyCe
Clubman
posted 02-24-20 06:53 AM ET (US)     2 / 6       
Thanks for your reply. Indeed, messing around with the compatibility options was the first thing I tried. There is probably a registry-only flag worth trying but I don't know what. The standard properties dialog only allows changing the color depth to 256 colors and some Aero-related stuff as far as I can see. Tried it and it didn't change it.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit. As I've mentioned, it used to work on this exact machine and monitor just some months ago, so I suspect I've changed some (global?) setting in the past that broke this. If I only knew what that was.

[This message has been edited by AyCe (edited 02-24-2020 @ 06:56 AM).]

damiendada
Banned
posted 04-04-20 08:52 AM ET (US)     3 / 6       
Hi, do you still have this problem?
ephestion
Clubman
posted 04-05-20 02:27 AM ET (US)     4 / 6       
Have you tried a social approach and wait for a solution from the other side of the spectrum? The Blue issue is common around the world at the moment. It's not just you or your location. Perhaps switching language to English will help you understand what is happening to your old games. Or maybe the English version is running OK compared to your German version, as they sometimes forget to test thoroughly on all languages.

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde
"I don't think I'm smarter than you because you believe in God. I think I'm smarter than you because you're absolutely nuts. -Stormraider responding to me."
AyCe
Clubman
posted 04-14-20 06:24 AM ET (US)     5 / 6       
Hi, yes I still have this problem.

@ephestion: I'm afraid I don't understand your reply. You mean you know someone else who has the text color problem? Can you point me to it please?

EDIT: I've installed a new graphics card and drivers. I also plugged my monitor into a different connection slot. The resolution when opening the games also seems to have changed. One or some of those things fixed it.

[This message has been edited by AyCe (edited 04-15-2020 @ 08:30 PM).]

ephestion
Clubman
posted 04-29-20 05:06 AM ET (US)     6 / 6       
From what you described it must have been your graphics card. In any case I am glad you got it sorted.

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde
"I don't think I'm smarter than you because you believe in God. I think I'm smarter than you because you're absolutely nuts. -Stormraider responding to me."
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames