You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition » Which campaign would you play next?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Which campaign would you play next?
ephestion
Clubman
posted 06-24-19 05:10 PM ET (US)         
Assume you have completed the introduction campaigns and Glory of Greece. Which one would you play next, Yamato, Babylonian or Hittite?

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde
"I don't think I'm smarter than you because you believe in God. I think I'm smarter than you because you're absolutely nuts. -Stormraider responding to me."
AuthorReplies:
Bardu
Clubman
posted 06-25-19 06:55 AM ET (US)     1 / 11       
I played them in the order they appear: Baby, Yamato, Hittites.
ephestion
Clubman
posted 06-26-19 03:42 AM ET (US)     2 / 11       
Are they progressively harder or of similar difficulty?

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde
"I don't think I'm smarter than you because you believe in God. I think I'm smarter than you because you're absolutely nuts. -Stormraider responding to me."
Bardu
Clubman
posted 06-26-19 05:41 AM ET (US)     3 / 11       
I felt like each campaign had some difficult scenarios.
ephestion
Clubman
posted 06-26-19 05:50 AM ET (US)     4 / 11       
So, I started a few games of the same first Babylonian scenario but I still get attacked before tool age. Even the priest gets attacked by the villagers he is trying to convert. Since when did the AI do that?

chab
Clubman
posted 06-26-19 11:58 AM ET (US)     5 / 11       
it depends on your game version, on mods... On the location where you try to convert.
When attacked close to their TC, villagers defend themselves, as they always did
ephestion
Clubman
posted 06-27-19 01:53 AM ET (US)     6 / 11       
I played the same scenario in AOE 1.0C original and the scenario was playable as the villagers did not attack no matter where they were. In the Definitive Edition I would like to draw the attention to a bug that makes it impossible to complete the campaign's first Babylonian scenario. The bug is that villagers auto attack upon conversion attempt. The slightly lower conversion rate in the DE version leaves the priest vulnerable to a single villager. Also, if two or more villagers are nearby when the conversion happens in the DE version they all attack. In the original version there is a slim chance that almost never happens.

Bardu
Clubman
posted 06-27-19 07:42 AM ET (US)     7 / 11       
That happened to me too. The first scenario was one of the difficult ones. It's not a bug. Just save frequently and persevere. I'm not very good and I managed to beat it, so you can too. You need to head to the right side of the river immediately and start converting that entire group of villagers one by one, so that you only have have one opponent to worry about. You'll find strategies for converting and get better at it through experience. That's not what I found to be the hard part either. You pretty much get rushed by a bunch of chariots right after that and it took me a while to weather the tide there. I can't remember how I beat those chariots. I tend to like towers against early rushes by the computer, but I don't remember if I'd learned that when I was playing this scenario or not. Type 'aoe holy man de' into the search bar on youtube and you'll find videos of how other people attacked it.
ephestion
Clubman
posted 06-27-19 08:24 AM ET (US)     8 / 11       
I found a work around to the bugged villager AI (It's too aggressive towards priests).

(SPOILER ALERT)

1. Move to the right side first
2. Save when ready to convert
3. Convert one villager that is alone
4. Use your converted villager to hit another villager
5. While your villager is being chased keep him moving all the time
6. Start converting all the villagers running after him.

The chariot rush that follows was dealt with 5 galleys and lots of bowmen and axemen on the shallows. Chariot archers then were made to assist when bronze age was researched. Then tower spam everywhere including the shallows.

chab
Clubman
posted 06-28-19 11:29 AM ET (US)     9 / 11       
so AI villagers that defend themselves against a priest, preventing you from winning too easily, you call that a bug ?

Strange definition...
ephestion
Clubman
posted 06-29-19 01:34 AM ET (US)     10 / 11       
Well if you look at the reaction to conversion in the original it causes the villager being converted to run away. It was an integral part of the strategy. Now there is a small chance of running away but most of the time the villager being converted attacks. Not alone mind you, but with the help of surrounding villagers. If you convert one near their city you could have the entire villager population attacking. I think the AI is too aggressive with villagers and conversion they should run away more.

Fisk
Champion of AoEH
(id: Fruktfisk)
posted 06-29-19 04:34 AM ET (US)     11 / 11       
I sort of agree with chab, it's not really a bug as much as it is an improvement to the game AI which has some unintended consequences for a particular set of scenarios.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames