You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition » Challenge: Can you beat the Parthian Commander and Around the Mountain scenarios?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Challenge: Can you beat the Parthian Commander and Around the Mountain scenarios?
rakovsky
Clubman
posted 06-15-19 02:34 AM ET (US)         
I have played and won plenty of AOE single player scenarios and consider myself about an average - or somewhat below average - player in my skills compared with others in multiplayer.

But one scenario that I couldn't beat even on the "EASIEST" difficulty setting was Around the Mountain (http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=1485). It's mind boggling to me how people beat it. So I'd like to invite or challenge you to try, even on the EASIEST Setting, and even if you look the maps over with the REVEAL MAP cheat. And then tell me how you beat it.

"Around the Mountain" had a fun idea in that you have a great starting base and need to walk down a mountain in order to take out the enemies. The basic problem for me was that there were so many solidly established enemies - about 7, that playing it was overwhelming. The problem is not so much a lack of resources, since you are very well supplied and have the full technology tree, but the management problem of controlling lots of units fighting lots of other units at once. AOE3 has a feature where you can effectively pause the game anytime and give orders to many units at once and then unpause the game. This feature would be very useful in "Around the Mountain". Half of the enemies, like the Grey enemy to your south, rolls out new units so frequently and has enough buildings, so that it's like Trench warfare in WWI where you have to take ground very steadily and keep moving ahead slowly.

(My walkthrough on beating Parthian Commander is here: http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=2350)

[This message has been edited by rakovsky (edited 09-27-2019 @ 06:58 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
rakovsky
Clubman
posted 10-04-19 09:00 PM ET (US)     1 / 5       
UPDATE:
I was able to beat AROUND THE MOUNTAIN on the EASIEST setting. One difference in my tactics that let me beat it was upgrading my catapult to the highest levels of technology so that I could shoot Grey's towers without getting hit back. I also generally only concentrated on attacking one enemy base at a time, instead of attacking the red team and the grey base simultaneously. This made it alot easier to manage units.

I updated my review of the mission to explain better how I beat it:
http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=1485
ephestion
Clubman
posted 10-08-19 03:01 PM ET (US)     2 / 5       
I can't get past the first stage.

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde
"I don't think I'm smarter than you because you believe in God. I think I'm smarter than you because you're absolutely nuts. -Stormraider responding to me."
rakovsky
Clubman
posted 10-11-19 00:51 AM ET (US)     3 / 5       
Ephestion,
Are you talking about Parthian Commander or Around the Mountain?

Around the Mountain was one of the hardest scenarios that I've ever played, but I finally beat it on the EASIEST setting on AOE: Rise of Rome. I had to get good enough to beat dozens of scenarios and then come back to it.

What part exactly did you get stuck at?
Stage 1 is where you get your starting character up to your main base. When you get it, you have to use your villagers to mine and get the upgrades for the catapults and the priests.

In my own strategy, Stage 2 is where you make some priests and put them on the edge of the cliffs that are directly south of your base. You use them in pairs of twos to convert any units, especially villagers that get near enough to the cliffs to convert them. Once you convert those villagers, you can use them to set up a new base to the south of your base. Then you can make towers, more priests, and catapults, and use them to fight the grey base.

I think that this mission takes a ton of skill. If you are a really weak player and don't want to wait until you are good enough, you might want to use the cheats to kill everyone else except the red team and the brown Assyria team.
ephestion
Clubman
posted 10-11-19 06:23 AM ET (US)     4 / 5       
Around the mountain. I start on a mountain with a priest. I imported the scenario into DE maybe it is not behaving as it should because of that?

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde
"I don't think I'm smarter than you because you believe in God. I think I'm smarter than you because you're absolutely nuts. -Stormraider responding to me."
rakovsky
Clubman
posted 10-12-19 02:01 PM ET (US)     5 / 5       
Maybe that is why. I have heard that it's common for AOE scenarios to have problems when imported into AOE DE. I recommend getting the original AOE and then downloading the free ROR UPatch, because there are so many good scenarios.

[This message has been edited by rakovsky (edited 10-12-2019 @ 02:01 PM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames