You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.20 replies
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition » HG is dead
Bottom
Topic Subject:HG is dead
PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 05-30-19 05:26 PM ET (US)         
Just copying this here from AoKH.

This place is dead mainly because no clear direction has been taken in previous 10 years or so. Also the horrible intrusive ads added at the end of last year are driving people away en masse. To make things even worse there is such a lack of activity and commitment, decision making and above all communication from the top of HG that any chance of reviving this place is now non existent.

Grab your favorite downloads and articles before things go down. Which I fear won't be too long from now.

It's been a fun ride.

Thanks to all who have made this place great, to friends and fellow staff members, to all the great designers and everyone else in the community for making this a wonderful part of my life.

I'll still keep posting from time to time, bearing in mind we are at the end of the road here.

Y'all have a good time while this place still lasts.

AuthorReplies:
ephestion
Clubman
posted 05-31-19 06:52 AM ET (US)     1 / 20       
So are the official forums which at one stage these were.

I'll keep visiting till the very end. Heck I'm still making contributions from time to time just to keep it all fresh. I hope we get some great days ahead.

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde
"I don't think I'm smarter than you because you believe in God. I think I'm smarter than you because you're absolutely nuts. -Stormraider responding to me."
Fisk
Champion of AoEH
(id: Fruktfisk)
posted 05-31-19 03:53 PM ET (US)     2 / 20       
Will Fisk release half of that campaign he began work on in 2012 before the lights go out? Stick round for the next chapter of Age of Empires Heaven to find out.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
anterior2
Scenario Design Expert
posted 05-31-19 07:15 PM ET (US)     3 / 20       
OD is still active and some of the top admins still post there.

StormComing (to me): "Seems like you're way under-ranked"

Check out my series of guides for the scenario editor in the link below! | Best Otto TR score

The definitive collection of my scenarios, along with my scenario editor walkthrough, recorded games, and much much more!
potdindy
Clubman
posted 05-31-19 07:34 PM ET (US)     4 / 20       
I think its pretty crazy that the same group of people are still here...like its been like 10 of you and your'e still sticking it out! Props!
zapdotep
Clubman
posted 05-31-19 11:59 PM ET (US)     5 / 20       
Is the site somehow on the edge of profitability/losing money?
I don't get it, the page design is very light and bandwidth-friendly when compared against more popular contemporary forums. Is there any way I can help with optimization?

If you have the authority, please make sure ia_archiver stays allowed to crawl the site (used by the Internet Archive). If it is blocked, the entire archive back to 1997 gets removed!

However, please be aware that it doesn't archive Granary downloads!

Anyway, if anyone is doing a mirror of the entire AoEH and the SWGBH? SWGBH is important because of their deep technical knowledge of the Genie engine. It's where the original Genie editing software from which all our modding utilities descended.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!          
The best stuff I made for Age of Empires:
 Composite Editor 1.1 Rated 5.0 ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ (Utility)
 Coke vs. Pepsi Rated 4.4 ★ ★ ★ ★ ⅖ (Multi player scenario)
 The Map of the World (Real world map)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fisk
Champion of AoEH
posted 06-02-19 12:20 PM ET (US)     6 / 20       
Thank you for the offer Zappy, but apart from keeping a copy of whichever files you deem important I don't think there's much you can do. As Phatty said the core issue really lies with the leadership of the site. Even the Seraphs are pretty much powerless in the face of this as they have had no say in things like the new ad injections and their rights towards backing up the site are limited.
I think its pretty crazy that the same group of people are still here...like its been like 10 of you and your'e still sticking it out! Props!
Thanks mate. Unfortunately this is also part of the problem. While HG as a whole has retained a loyal userbase who have kept the community going, the influx of new users past 2010 has been low. No matter the degree of engagement people unavoidably drop out sooner or later, and without new blood coming into the community, things were bound to go this way.

//The warrior of Isola

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
Romanos_V
Clubman
posted 06-02-19 03:06 PM ET (US)     7 / 20       
As zapdotep says, the resources on the Engine and the download archive must be preserved somehow. The latter maybe as a big archive (not editable anymore as a .zip).
Kenntak
Clubman
posted 06-03-19 12:04 PM ET (US)     8 / 20       
Well, I will stay here as long as it does--member since 2002.

[This message has been edited by Kenntak (edited 06-03-2019 @ 12:05 PM).]

Jan dc
Clubman
(id: Den cekke)
posted 06-04-19 02:10 AM ET (US)     9 / 20       
At least the franchise will keep on going for a few more years.

https://www.ageofempires.com/news/age-of-empires-ii-de-at-e3/
PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 06-04-19 07:30 AM ET (US)     10 / 20       
So, Suppy was correct - AoE DE was just a testing ground.

I will probably sign up for the AoK DE beta if my specs support it, but no buy from me. Microsoft fcked it up big time.

I have a very recent backup of the AoEH main site and it's articles, but not of the Granary or the Forums, I no longer have FTP access to the HG server (no one does anymore afaik) so grab all your favorite stuff while it's still possible. I do not have the time to download and save everything manually.

One thing you could do is to host your scns and cmps at ageofempires.com, but it's a hassle to register, sign in and upload. The software they use there is pretty broken.

I don't know if backups of HG are being made at all, but I have suggested this to the EXCO and other staff on numerous occasions over the years.

Also offered to host a part of HG at my own expenses (if possible) but of course, no reply has come yet.

Agree most of all the research especially should be saved.

zapdotep
Clubman
posted 06-04-19 07:31 AM ET (US)     11 / 20       
Oh well. Who actually owns HG right now?
Who's the EXCO? Also, what does EXCO stand for?

PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 06-04-19 07:46 AM ET (US)     12 / 20       
HG is owned by angels Socvazius and Jayhawk (not sure if Zen is still involved). And Executive Committee (Terikel Grayhair, Blatant).

Contact them if you like.

[This message has been edited by PhatFish (edited 06-04-2019 @ 07:55 AM).]

Epd999
Scout
posted 06-04-19 11:58 PM ET (US)     13 / 20       
If support for the website were to stop, would the website not be archived so we can still access all the downloads, forums and information available here easily?

One thing I really liked about these forums was the history they had and that you could go look at some of AoE's past here that was hard to find anywhere else. If this is really the case, I will be saddened to see that all go.

Lost Empires Mod
Maybe it's only a fool who'll perilously journey out to what might not be there. But if you want to solve problems, you don't just solve the ones that are there, you find more and make more and go after the impossible ones.
The neanderthals never ventured into the unknown and they went extinct, so who are the fools?
Fisk
Champion of AoEH
posted 06-05-19 06:38 AM ET (US)     14 / 20       
Any pages as well as threads should hopefully be archived as long as the crawlers are allowed to traverse the site (so for instance we'd lose all of OD if you consider that to be worth anything). Most importantly however the downloads themselves would not be archived as they aren't part of the site itself, but simply requested from HG's file system through the downloads pages.

//The warrior of Isola

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
zapdotep
Clubman
posted 06-07-19 09:14 PM ET (US)     15 / 20       
I can't even find Sozvazius.
I'm not privy to the financial details obviously, but if the main issue is time commitments from the owners, there's probably some low-hanging fruit to optimize in both the technical and accounting aspects.

Ingo van Thiel
Clubman
posted 06-08-19 05:36 AM ET (US)     16 / 20       
This is sad news. I connect lots of memories both with AoE and AoK Heaven. They have done amazing work and been the place of creativity, inspiration and discussion for generations of designers.

That being said, I'm also grateful these sites have existed for such a long time. It's been 20+ years, that is amazing and way longer than many other gaming sites.

I'm saving a lot of website and download stuff these days.

Ingo
alincarpetman
Chariot Archer
posted 06-08-19 06:55 PM ET (US)     17 / 20       
Blatant
DoFH Seraph & Director of Seraphs
(id: blatant7)
posted 06-09-19 01:03 AM ET (US)     18 / 20       
HG is owned by angels Socvazius and Jayhawk (not sure if Zen is still involved). And Executive Committee (Terikel Grayhair, Blatant).

Contact them if you like.
I actually don't have any ownership of HG, as in no financial ties (and no real ability to do anything, unfortunately). I know about as much as you do regarding this whole thing.

Yes, I began my journey alone, and I ended it alone.
But that does not mean that I walked alone. ~ Brandon Sanderson
Suppiluliuma
AoEH Seraph
posted 06-09-19 05:17 PM ET (US)     19 / 20       
Oh no! these are quite sad news. I know nothing lasts forever, but it is sad to see a place going down after so many years.

Would it be possible to keep the site as an archive of sorts?

Or, maybe, considering it is still activeish...would the people at AoE2 make a site and allow us to keep a thread there?

[This message has been edited by Suppiluliuma (edited 06-09-2019 @ 05:22 PM).]

rakovsky
Clubman
posted 06-15-19 11:22 AM ET (US)     20 / 20       
I love HG. It has such a wonderful database of scenarios, and now with the DE coming out, it has fresh relevance.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames