You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition » pop limit changing for original AoE 1?
Bottom
Topic Subject:pop limit changing for original AoE 1?
volume
Clubman
posted 01-11-19 05:04 AM ET (US)         
can anyone tell me how do you change the pop limit in the original AoE 1 in singleplayer?

or is there a tool like RoR population limit changer somewhere i can use?

trying to play some single player campaigns where it only works in original AoE 1 not RoR because RoR will crash before a scenario is loaded due to some beta units and/or reasons i have yet to determine. but 50 pop limit greatly limits things.
AuthorReplies:
Fisk
Champion of AoEH
(id: Fruktfisk)
posted 01-11-19 08:01 AM ET (US)     1 / 8       
It was a well known "hack" back in the day that the pop limit could be changed via regedit, hence it might be that nobody ever bothered to develop a tool for it. See this thread for reference:

http://aoe.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=1,5220,1400,all

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
chab
Clubman
posted 01-11-19 11:47 AM ET (US)     2 / 8       
RockNRorAdmin supports all game versions (1.0b/1.0c and ROR 1.0/1.0a) and can patch your exe to allow a different maximum population.

http://aoe.heavengames.com/dl-php/showfile.php?fileid=2464

You need to run RockNRorAdmin, select empires.exe, choose "edit" in the menu and go to options.
ephestion
Clubman
posted 01-12-19 09:23 PM ET (US)     3 / 8       
You can change the pop in multiplayer games. If you start in a multiplayer mode you get the option for pop limit (ROR). Add in the command line startup link Limit=X (where x is 50 to 200) for AOE original.

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde
"I don't think I'm smarter than you because you believe in God. I think I'm smarter than you because you're absolutely nuts. -Stormraider responding to me."

[This message has been edited by ephestion (edited 01-12-2019 @ 10:24 PM).]

chab
Clubman
posted 01-13-19 07:29 AM ET (US)     4 / 8       
yes but using Multiplayer mode to play single player games is just *hem* "not very interesting", as you get the huge lag between commands and the moment they are actually taken into account, which is really unplayable
ephestion
Clubman
posted 01-13-19 07:39 PM ET (US)     5 / 8       
Ok, I agree.

Fisk the regedit hack doesn't work on Windows 10 because it doesn't have a DirectPlay installation in the registry. The only way is with the startup option in multiplayer or use a utility.

"To love Christ -means not to be a hireling, not to look upon a noble life as an enterprise or trade, but to be a true benefactor and to do everything only for the sake of love for God." —St John Chrysostom
"When one returns to the Greek; it is like going into a garden of lilies out of some, narrow and dark house." -Oscar Wilde
"I don't think I'm smarter than you because you believe in God. I think I'm smarter than you because you're absolutely nuts. -Stormraider responding to me."
volume
Clubman
posted 01-14-19 04:56 AM ET (US)     6 / 8       
Fisk it was a well known hack that i never mastered

did it really work something like:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires\empires.exe Limit=200 ???

and when you put it into properties, does it go in the text box for Target, Start in, or Comment?

also im trying to play single player, does it work for single player? i do not need multiplayer.

Thanks!
Fisk
Champion of AoEH
(id: Fruktfisk)
posted 01-14-19 04:30 PM ET (US)     7 / 8       
Yeah, at least that's how the story goes, though I recall doing the same thing via the "run" command for some reason or another.

If you can't get it to work though RockNRor is a great tool with support for a bunch of other things as well. I just happened to forget that it also works for the original AoE because I'm a moron.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
chab
Clubman
posted 01-15-19 11:22 AM ET (US)     8 / 8       
you're no moron, the program is aimed at ROR1.0a, only a few things are supported in other versions
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames