You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition » Original AoE NOT DEFINITIVE EDITION
Bottom
Topic Subject:Original AoE NOT DEFINITIVE EDITION
erectus123
Clubman
posted 11-21-18 04:22 AM ET (US)         
Hi all,

How do you get the original AoE 1 + RoR nowadays? I only want to play for nostalgia and so the definitive edition is not for me. I don't love the new graphics and the orchestral versions of the old 8 bit tracks lack emotive power imo.

Thanks in advance boys and girls
AuthorReplies:
Ris1ng
Clubman
posted 11-21-18 06:35 AM ET (US)     1 / 7       
The only legal options are buying an used copy of AoE Gold or AoE Collector's Edition. You could also buy the big box releases of AoE and RoR, but I don't recommend. Big box PC games are collectible items nowadays and are quite expensive.

AoE Definitive Edition also has a classic mode that you play with original graphics, but it's not the same experience.

Microsoft could be nice enough to release AoE classic on any platform at a discount. Most companies that have done remakes/remasters also re-released the original game on digital distribution. Blizzard was even nice enough to release the original StarCraft for free when they released SC Remastered.

[This message has been edited by Ris1ng (edited 11-21-2018 @ 06:37 AM).]

Kataphraktoi
Clubman
posted 11-21-18 07:48 AM ET (US)     2 / 7       
The best I could find on amazon on a quick search was this;https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00004ZB2I/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

50 bucks for a new copy at the bottom.

Think I have the game cds on a shelf somewhere at my parents home but I dont really care if I do or dont. I just go digital these days and dont even have a disc drive of any sort of my PCs as of 2013

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
Fisk
Champion of AoEH
(id: Fruktfisk)
posted 11-21-18 08:26 AM ET (US)     3 / 7       
If you're only looking for the original game without AoK included you can search for the "Gold edition" instead which can be acquired for a significantly lower price.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
Kenntak
Clubman
posted 11-21-18 08:35 AM ET (US)     4 / 7       
I bought the gold edition a couple of years ago for only 15 euro in Europe. I have owned multiple copies of the games since 1998, but have misplaced them. For a game that's 20 years old, it is not bad at all. I have the Definitive edition as well, but other than the graphics and sound, it is in some ways not as good as I explained in another thread. I don't see how that could be possible with Microsoft backing it, and current programming, but it's true. I am really disappointed with the support for the Definitive edition.
PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 11-22-18 08:43 AM ET (US)     5 / 7       
Go on Ebay, you can find it used for like 2 dollar or something (cd only). Used and complete boxed Gold edition around 20-30 dollars.
erectus123
Clubman
posted 11-22-18 12:18 PM ET (US)     6 / 7       
Great! Thanks for suggestions. Does anyone know if disc plus Parallels (windows virual machine on Mac) would work?

And @Ris1ng why is the classic mode not the same feel? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by erectus123 (edited 11-22-2018 @ 01:00 PM).]

Ris1ng
Clubman
posted 11-27-18 09:49 AM ET (US)     7 / 7       
And @Ris1ng why is the classic mode not the same feel? Thanks!
The color palette is slightly changed and it uses the Definitive Edition UI.

[This message has been edited by Ris1ng (edited 11-27-2018 @ 09:49 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames