You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.8 replies
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition » What is the best , and worst, civilization on the following maps: Hill Country, and Islands?
Bottom
Topic Subject:What is the best , and worst, civilization on the following maps: Hill Country, and Islands?
Draco_Wolfgand
Clubman
posted 07-30-18 12:16 PM ET (US)         
Hello there! A while ago, I mentioned that Hill Country was my favourite map, where Islands was my least favourite map( Though I said that mostly because of my loathing for water maps ). So, just for fun, I thought we could discuss which is the best, and worst, civilization at each one of these maps.

Best Hill Country civilization: You know, probably the Assyrians. Hill Country, due to being relatively open and having lots of elevations, is clearly a biased map torwards CA rushes, which the Assyrians excel at. Though one could also make a argument for the Hittites, who are slower, but have a much better late game, with the best HHA in the game.

Worst Hill Country civilization: Probably Greeks, as their archers are essentially nonexistant from the Bronze Age onwards, they are kind of a one trick pony with their very much archer sensitive Hoplites, and they dont have any early game bonuses that would help then with rushing.

Best Islands civilization: Since I very rarely play this map which I hate, I feel less secure to talk about it then I do to talk about Hill Country... With that said, probably the Yamato. They have a very good navy from the beggining to the end of the game, and their army is quite population-effective, too, what I found is important on this map, because, well... I would be more scared if my opponent was to unleash a transport ship full of Centurions into my lands then if he was to unleash a transport ship full of Legionnaires. Well, poor example since the Yamato rarely use their Centurions, but you get what I mean

In a related note, what I said above is assuming randon map. For deathmatches, the title of "best Islands civilizations" would probably go to the Persians instead. Then again, Persians are a Deathmatch powerhouse in general.

Worst Islands civilization: Hard to say, but probably the Babylonians. Slow economy: Unexceptional navy: Too much focus on Priests and building fortifications that wont be that usefull on this map...
AuthorReplies:
Fisk
Champion of AoEH
(id: Fruktfisk)
posted 07-30-18 05:03 PM ET (US)     1 / 8       
but have a much better late game, with the best HHA in the game.
What is Yamato?

Seriosuly though, I think the subject of Hill Country civs have been in the pipeline in one of your other threads. I'm sure you know my stance is Assy/Shang.

Islands is a more interesting subject. If you ask me I believe I might pick Minoa as the number one civ. The cheaper ships are definitely enough to contend with the Yamato HP bonus. Another point worthy of note is that the cheap ships is a major economical boost when building fishing boats early in the game. In fact I have had great success doing pit starts with Minoa and relying mainly on an early FB fleet for food influx. The unit roster with Compies, Cents and full siege is far from bad either.

As for other top contenders I'd consider Phoenie (Woodcutting bonus => more boats) and Hittites (+4 range makes for some amazing harassment opportunities). Phonie's cat trireme/juggernaut bonus also makes them one of the greatest if not the greatest naval DM civ.

Worst island civ is a tough one. I might go with Babylonia, as even though their towers may offer some great defense, they do not get Triremes in Iron and have little use of their economy bonus. They just lack any kind of offensive edge in these games.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
Suppiluliuma
AoEH Seraph
posted 08-05-18 05:41 AM ET (US)     2 / 8       
I'd say Macedonian are worse in Islands than Babys. Baby's have better towers, with more range as well as catapults/ HCatapults and harassing and effective priests.

[This message has been edited by Suppiluliuma (edited 08-05-2018 @ 05:42 AM).]

Kenntak
Clubman
posted 08-05-18 10:51 AM ET (US)     3 / 8       
I too would take Babylonians over the Macedonians on an island map.
Fisk
Champion of AoEH
posted 08-08-18 03:37 PM ET (US)     4 / 8       
But Macedonia gets Triremes! I'm certainly no experienced Islands player, but I know that controlling the seas will be the most important aspect of a game. How can you then insist that a civilisation without Triremes can beat one that gets them?

I mean, Macedonia also has a decent Bronze game with their cheap Stone Throwers. I can buy that a Babylonian player has some great defense opportunities, but without Triremes I just can't see them win the high seas in late game.

//The warrior of Isola

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
The_Patriarck
Clubman
posted 08-12-18 11:20 AM ET (US)     5 / 8       
Since the Rise of Rome expansion, any civ with Fire Galleys easily has the power to control the water; that being said, Babylon is definitely a great competitor in an island map type. Sumeria may also be a good choice.
Draco_Wolfgand
Clubman
posted 08-12-18 01:39 PM ET (US)     6 / 8       
Fire Galleys are way overrated: They are only good against Triremes in relatively small scale battles: After it gets to over a dozen or so they begin losing their edge. There is also the fact they are not good at attacking the shore from the sea, though naturally that was a intentional weakness.
Suppiluliuma
AoEH Seraph
posted 08-13-18 10:53 AM ET (US)     7 / 8       
I feel people understimate War Galleys a lot there's where their strength lies. They can be quite annoying, even in Iron age. Besides Macedonian trirremes are not even that good, lacking 1 in range and not having alchemy either.
Fisk
Champion of AoEH
posted 08-13-18 02:04 PM ET (US)     8 / 8       
Actually Macedonians do get Alchemy, and a Trireme without Craftsmanship still has the same range as a War Galley. While a Babylonian Iron age navy may theoretically duke it out in a smaller scale battle, once units reach a critical mass and boats start bumping into each other, I think the raw damage output of the Triremes will be superior.

//The warrior of Isola

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames