You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.90 replies
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition » So, there has been no real update to AoE DE in months...
Bottom
Topic Subject:So, there has been no real update to AoE DE in months...
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 05-21-18 01:27 PM ET (US)         
And the game is suffering massively because of this. I've sort of lost interest too, haven't played it much the last couple of weeks. It has a huge potential to be an absolutely awesome game, yet there has not been any real content update since... the release. Only a few bugfixes here and there.

DE is lacking some serious needed features mentioned a dozen times by members all over the community. The most frustrating of all however is that there has been absolutely ZERO communication from the devs since the first week of release. Obviously FE are working on AoE2 DE and I get that most resources are now allocated to that, but you can't just abandon AoE DE and leave it in a half finished state.

It's called definitive edition for a reason, right?

Anyways, here's a similar topic on the official aoe forums:

Support for the game is dead

What are your thoughts?
AuthorReplies:
w00tdaddy109
Clubman
posted 08-11-18 11:38 AM ET (US)     76 / 90       
Well, I haven't logged in here for a long time...

I've been following DE's progress and feel as depressed as the rest of you about it; this was such an obvious and unforgivable own goal by M$, and locking out Steam users by forcing people to use their shitty Windows store is an almost impressive act of hubris. It has backfired, evidently.

Though originally tempted to buy DE, I'm much more wary now, and am primarily interested in news of II DE, and of course IV. However, given that there's been no news at all in the year since it was announced, it may as well be vapourware.

How can a big developer like M$ with such an impressive cash cow as the AoE series manage to make such a spectacular mess of this? It beggars belief.

I hope we get some news soon, but I won't hold my breath, and given the abject failure of DE it does make you wonder whether M$ have simply decided to pull the plug on the whole thing.

A lot older, though no wiser.
w00tdaddy109
Clubman
posted 08-11-18 11:41 AM ET (US)     77 / 90       
Also, how do I contact an administrator on this forum? I'd like to request a username change if possible.

Hermacles
Clubman
posted 08-11-18 01:08 PM ET (US)     78 / 90       
Good to know private conversations are being posted publicly online.
Epd999
Scout
posted 08-11-18 06:23 PM ET (US)     79 / 90       
Good to know that when people don't approve of something that they post a passive aggressive comment.

I will remove the PM from the post.

I'll make sure to ask people who give me sourced facts in PM's to post it online in the future. I'm sorry I didn't ask before posting the PM.

@w00tdaddy,
There is a week or so you can change your name on a topic called: Name Change Day. The last one was April this year and will likely not be on until next year.

Lost Empires Mod
Maybe it's only a fool who'll perilously journey out to what might not be there. But if you want to solve problems, you don't just solve the ones that are there, you find more and make more and go after the impossible ones.
The neanderthals never ventured into the unknown and they went extinct, so who are the fools?

[This message has been edited by Epd999 (edited 08-12-2018 @ 11:01 PM).]

w00tdaddy109
Clubman
posted 08-11-18 07:35 PM ET (US)     80 / 90       
I wouldn't worry about him, he's just a fanboy from the official AoE forum. He literally registered just to make that post.

Hermacles
Clubman
posted 08-13-18 06:16 AM ET (US)     81 / 90       
Thank you Epd999. I would have sent you a private message here but the option appears to be unavailable.

I use to be a moderator and content creator on the AoEO portal but when development ceased on AoEO there wasn't anything to write about anymore because the game had no mod support.

At least AoE: DE players can create custom scenarios and campaigns and host them on the AoE website.

I too had hoped for more AoE: DE updates. For example, the empty spot in the user interface near the mini map for the flare command may never be filled. Unless the game comes to Steam in the future the game will likely stay "as is". As an AoE fan this is discouraging. For the future DE projects I hope they are popular enough that development does not end prematurely like it did with AoE: DE.

Edit: Forum made all my AoE: DE mentions smiley faces because there was no space between the colon and the letter "D". :P

[This message has been edited by Hermacles (edited 08-13-2018 @ 06:18 AM).]

w00tdaddy109
Clubman
posted 08-13-18 07:11 AM ET (US)     82 / 90       
@Hermacles

You've got that the wrong way round; why should people buy future DE titles when they can see how quickly M$ abandoned the first one? What exactly is the incentive?

Hermacles
Clubman
posted 08-13-18 09:08 AM ET (US)     83 / 90       
Development halted on AoE: DE because the funds earned from sales dried up. Would there have been more sales if the game released on Steam or other PC platforms as well? That's a separate debate.

When the game was on sale a few weeks ago I noticed CheeseOnToast returned to the forums. That is not a coincidence. Microsoft earned more AoE: DE money during the sale and that money went towards funding Forgotten Empires for support.

If the future DE titles appeal to you, then buy them and give Microsoft a reason to continue development. Understand that Microsoft is running a business and they can only support a particular title as long as money continues to flow to pay the developers.

The incentive to buying future DE titles is playing the game you want to play.
Suppiluliuma
AoEH Seraph
posted 08-13-18 11:01 AM ET (US)     84 / 90       
All the remakes of AoE II will keep the franchise alive. That's a given. People like knights and castles too much.

Besides although AoK is the ES game (and fanbase) that I like the least (there you get for saying AoE I is shit), the developers did take the good things of AoE, improved on them and took away most annoyances. So is natural most people like it überalles.

[This message has been edited by Suppiluliuma (edited 08-13-2018 @ 11:03 AM).]

Kataphraktoi
Clubman
posted 08-13-18 12:37 PM ET (US)     85 / 90       
Development halted on AoE: DE because the funds earned from sales dried up...

Microsoft earned more AoE: DE money during the sale and that money went towards funding Forgotten Empires for support...

If the future DE titles appeal to you, then buy them and give Microsoft a reason to continue development. Understand that Microsoft is running a business and they can only support a particular title as long as money continues to flow to pay the developers.

The incentive to buying future DE titles is playing the game you want to play.
Wow, what a twisted logic! Its the responsibility of the fans now to fund development of their games, rather than a developer obtaining the funds ahead of time to create a solid and well rounded product. They cannot support the title because the money dried up? They didn't release a proper product in the first place because THEY refused to invest properly in the project.

It is very important we as consumers DO NOT support companies that take this early access subsidization approach; we are sending a message to corporate commanders everywhere that we will pay for unfinished products and that they don't need to finish or polish anything nicely because some blind fanboys will throw money at them.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
Fisk
Champion of AoEH
(id: Fruktfisk)
posted 08-13-18 01:52 PM ET (US)     86 / 90       
Well, you may dislike it all you want, but I think it's an unrefusable fact that not just MS but the gaming industry as a whole has moved towards an economy of pre-ordering and launch-day patches. It may not be ideal, but if I actually have faith in the end product I'll probably still buy into it. Trouble is, MS doesn't exactly have great brand association in this regard. While future titles may seem exciting, many people will be less inclined to put their money into them if they fear receiving an unfinished product that won't be maintained post-launch. While letting go of the game post-release may earn a quick buck, I think it has hurt relations with disappointed fans enough that it might backfire in the future.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
Hermacles
Clubman
posted 08-13-18 02:46 PM ET (US)     87 / 90       
AoE: DE would have been released on the same date without any pre-orders. By that metric it was fully funded.

No doubt Microsoft made mistakes. They overestimated community interest and underestimated the dev work required to not only bring the game up to modern standards but also fit it into the UWP platform and Xbox Live.
Kataphraktoi
Clubman
posted 08-14-18 02:31 PM ET (US)     88 / 90       
Well, you may dislike it all you want, but I think it's an unrefusable fact that not just MS but the gaming industry as a whole has moved towards an economy of pre-ordering and launch-day patches.
That is true but we don't need to buy into it. I believe the cause of all this is the high percentage of new and young gamers who will eventually become burnt and disillusioned by these practices. It will take time but eventually - I hope - people will wake up and stop preordering, stop buying microtransactions, and stop purchasing loot boxes. If these practices are not eventually outlawed first. Seems to be taking a long time for this to happen, though.

"Excellent could be any map that has the quality of a ES random map or ES scenario. AoK is an excellent, award winning game. That's where I'd start." -AnastasiaKafka

"Hard work is evil. Bitmaps are stupid. Working on a scenario for more than one afternoon is stupid. Triggers are stupid. Testing your own scenario is stupid. The world is stupid. You are the Greatest." -Ingo Van Thiel
PhatFish
Mr. Beta
posted 08-14-18 03:35 PM ET (US)     89 / 90       
It comes down to this really: No further support from the publisher and development team on finishing/polishing AoE DE, no support from me buying any future products.

And believe me when I say that I would have loved to play future Age games.
w00tdaddy109
Clubman
posted 08-14-18 03:50 PM ET (US)     90 / 90       
Likewise, PhatFish.

AoE: DE is a good value game, it's only £15/$20 so for a remastered classic game I don't think you can moan at the price. It's not like M$ were asking $60 for it. So, from that standpoint, it's not the game's price that has put me off buying it, it's the radio silence from the developers and apparent withdrawal of support by the publishers.

It's a shame, but until I see some form of communication I'm not going to part with my money.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames