You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Age of Empires / Rise of Rome / Definitive Edition » Age of Empires Collectors Edition
Bottom
Topic Subject:Age of Empires Collectors Edition
AOE_2016
Clubman
posted 09-06-16 03:26 AM ET (US)         
Hello,

I am big fan of the original age of empires 1 but my CD has gone missing. I was looking at purchasing the UBISOFT Collectors Edition DVD as that seems to be the most widely available version of the game. Or is it better to get a different version - if so which & where from?

It includes AOE 1 and expansion and AOE 2 and expansion. Whilst this seems an unpopular opinion, I actually prefer playing AOE 1.

Anyway I have a few questions regarding this product or which is the best version of the game to buy. I plan to mostly play multiplayer LAN or virtual LAN over Internet.

I have heard rumours that If you patch DVD version it does not recognise the DVD and asks to insert cd? Is this correct can I patch with latest official patch (I think 1.0c?) or other mod patches such as HD patch etc without this problem occurring?
It is crucial that all players have same version patch for multiplayer to work.

I have also heard that soundtrack does not work if patch or something like that? Is this true?

Also can you play multiplayer with 1 DVD? Is this the case for both AOE 1 & 2?

Is there anything else I should know. I would appreciate any other helpful info.

Has anyone got this collectors version I am referring to?

Many thanks
AuthorReplies:
Ris1ng
Clubman
posted 09-06-16 06:43 AM ET (US)     1 / 9       
The Collector's Edition DVD comes with all the patches installed, you don't need to update your game any further, also all the games don't require the DVD inserted to play.

The only downside of the edition is that the games don't have the original soundtrack included in red book format, only a handful of them are available in MP3 format.

[This message has been edited by Ris1ng (edited 09-06-2016 @ 06:44 AM).]

AOE_2016
Clubman
posted 09-06-16 07:37 AM ET (US)     2 / 9       
Thanks, much appreciated

What about if you patch the game... For example with an unofficial mod. Will that mess up disc requirements?

[This message has been edited by AOE_2016 (edited 09-06-2016 @ 07:38 AM).]

Basse
Clubman
posted 09-06-16 08:00 AM ET (US)     3 / 9       
Yes, that can happen!

Collectors edition comes with a pre-installed patch that removes the disc-requirement. Installing a different patch might bring back that
AOE_2016
Clubman
posted 09-06-16 06:03 PM ET (US)     4 / 9       
Thanks. Hmmm in that case maybe the cd version is better if I can get a hold of it. That way atleast if it does break it the game still recognises the cd.

By any chance do you (or anyone) know if the HD upatch works or is likely to work with the DVD version without breaking disc requirement?
Basse
Clubman
posted 09-07-16 10:24 AM ET (US)     5 / 9       
The Upatch works perfectly fine for my Collectors edition, so no CD is needed for me
AOE_2016
Clubman
posted 09-07-16 08:31 PM ET (US)     6 / 9       
Thanks that is great to know

[This message has been edited by AOE_2016 (edited 09-13-2016 @ 07:05 AM).]

AOE_2016
Clubman
posted 09-13-16 07:04 AM ET (US)     7 / 9       
Saved Multiplayer games in Age of Empires Collector's Edition do not start:

P.S I just found this thread regarding an issue launching saved multiplayer games. It says the game asks for the cd but does not recognise the DVD or even a no cd patch.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-gaming/saved-multiplayer-games-in-age-fo-empires/c62732b8-1049-4b60-a851-585c8bb908eb?auth=1

Have you come across this issue with your game?
It seems there is no fix for this issue.

[This message has been edited by AOE_2016 (edited 09-13-2016 @ 07:06 AM).]

anterior2
Scenario Design Expert
posted 09-17-16 10:08 PM ET (US)     8 / 9       
Ok, I have both the Collector's Edition DVD and a v1.0 CD copy so here are the differences I've noticed:

-No CD audio soundtrack on the Collector's Edition, only MIDI. The CD audio is higher quality (and some of the songs are completely different), and the MIDI volume can't be changed (i.e. volume slider in the game options does nothing when playing the MIDI audio). Plus for AoE2 the DVD doesn't include MIDI (so there's no music at all), you need to download the AoE2 Trial version (for both vanilla and The Conquerors) and copy the MIDIs from the trials over to the correct folder in your Collector's Edition install - the game will then play your MIDIs. The MIDIs are already included for AoE1 though.

-No need to have the disc in the drive to play with the Collector's Edition

-The Collector's Edition uses the latest patches which is a bad thing! The latest patches for AoE1 vanilla and the RoR expansion include a bug which causes the game to crash when loading saved games (technically this only occurs when a projectile is in the air while the game was saved). This basically makes it compulsory to download either CustomiseAoE or UPatch to fix it.

Apart from these issues, getting the Collector's Edition DVD is a perfectly good option.

StormComing (to me): "Seems like you're way under-ranked"

Check out my series of guides for the scenario editor in the link below! | Best Otto TR score

The definitive collection of my scenarios, along with my scenario editor walkthrough, recorded games, and much much more!
Dasha
Clubman
posted 06-06-19 05:49 AM ET (US)     9 / 9       
Hi,

I used to play AOE2 back in the days and I've rce,tmu bought the Collector Edition because it's DRM free and a great way to replay this classic.

I first wanted to register to thank you about the advice to get the background music working. It works like a charm !

To be complete, you can say that midis from aok demo can be named music1-8.mid and the ones from tc shall be renamed music9-16 so that both soundtrack are being played.

Also, what I did is to create a file named EMPIRES2.BAT next to EMPIRES2.EXE. This file contains one line :
empires.exe -midimusic

For Win Vista / 7 you can make it 3 lines to fix the water graphical glitch:

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
empires2.exe -midimusic
start explorer.exe

Then I created a shortcut to the .bat file.

I've done the same with age2_x1.exe for the Conquerors expansion.

I've also seen that it's adviced to upgrade to UserPatch 1.5.
But I also read that midi music is not supported by UserPatch 1.5 anymore.

Does it mean that if I move to UserPatch 1.5 I won't have any background music anymore ?

On the Collector DVD, there is a soundtrack (16 tracks if I'm not wrong + 1 playlist m3u).
--> Does it correspond to the 8 midis from aok and 8 midis from tc ?
--> Can this be used with UserPatch and if so how ?

—————

Answering to myself (if it can help others) after some testing yesterday :

1. Midi is not supported with UserPatch 1.5.
2. The soundtrack on the DVD does not correspond to the midis. I think it’s a mix of music from AOE, ROR, AOK and TC. See here : https://www.discogs.com/fr/Various-Age-Of-Empires-Compilation-Soundtrack/release/3900969
3. I converted the soundtrack which on the Collector DVD to mp3 (initially in wave). I copied the .mp3 in a directory called « music » under « sound » and with the UserPatch 1.5 installer created the m3u. In game, I just had to increase the music volume and it could have background music. Wav would work but for me mp3 is good enough for game background music.

[This message has been edited by Dasha (edited 06-07-2019 @ 00:35 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames