Please login or register

AoE Multiplayer Forum
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, EpiC_Anonymous, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Multiplayer guides for beginners
posted 01-29-21 00:42 AM ET (US)   
I played some AOE1 matches but am still a Noob. So I am looking for guides that would raise me at least to an average level.

I read:

Alex Walker's "Tips For Playing Age Of Empires" and saw the video there. (https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/02/tips-for-playing-age-of-empires/)

JRed's "Three DEADLY rushes! - AoEDE Beginner Guide" video

TripleJump's "Age of Empires: Rise of Rome Multiplayer FAQ" (v. 1.0, 2008)
https://www.ign.com/faqs/2008/age-of-empires-collectors-edition-multiplayer-faq-761696

Blitz's "What I wish I knew when I started on the zone"

[This message has been edited by rakovsky (edited 03-16-2021 @ 01:27 AM).]

Replies:
posted 01-31-21 10:02 PM ET (US)     1 / 8  
Unlike AoK or even AoM and AoE 3 there aren't as many resources for newbs to start that are not in Chinese or Vietnamese.

I wish someone filled that gap, sadly I feel us "western" AoE fans would qualify a pre-youtube boomers in the eyes of many.

Still thanks for saring that link. After 20 years of playing this game I can assure you, I have not improved the slightest bit after my first month playing the game (and probably the main reason why I hate multiplayer lol)

[This message has been edited by Suppiluliuma (edited 01-31-2021 @ 10:05 PM).]

posted 02-08-21 11:22 PM ET (US)     2 / 8  
With Vietnamese, at least you can run it through Google Translate.

One personal challenge I have is speed - eg. micromanaging several Town Centers and battles at once. On AOE2 it's no problem in Single Player because you can just press pause and issue commands to 50+ units at once. With AOE1 on Mutliplayer, it gets really tough micromanaging quickly.

[This message has been edited by rakovsky (edited 02-08-2021 @ 11:27 PM).]

posted 02-08-21 11:26 PM ET (US)     3 / 8  
TripleJump's FAQ says:
Q. How do the opponents make so much stuff so fast?
A. Holding the "Shift" button and clicking will make more than one very fast.

I don't know if he is referring to the unit schedules in barracks where you can train 5 at once. I don't think this works in ROR 1.0A or just in ROR 1.1 and AOE2.

Maybe he means that if you hold down shift you can build multiple buildings, eg. towers, at once. I haven't tried doing that.
posted 02-20-21 03:38 PM ET (US)     4 / 8  
Yeah most likely he's referring to building placement. Holding down shift to make multiple buildings is a must in DM, in RM I think it's good to learn as well but in general I think just knowing your hotkeys is more important. For the original game there's a page in the Academy, for DE check your settings and edit them to your liking there. With DE you also get a bunch of things like the "Select All Building X" Hotkey which I find makes cycling redundant most of the time.

But yeah, hotkeys are definitely the number one thing when it comes to speed. A few good ones to get down at the start are:
- Select TC and queue villagers
- Build a house
- Select whatever is your backbone militare building and queue a unit (e.g. Archery Range - CA)
Once you start getting into it you'll probably be adding more and more to your register as you become more experienced.

And although we aren't as hardcore with learning "build orders" as the Age2 people, knowing a few basics like how much eco is resonable to have when aging up is good. Someone showed me this really professional Youtube channel and I've been recommending it ever since, check out his Tool Rush builds and Conti start, or just look at whatever interests you.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 03-14-21 11:59 PM ET (US)     5 / 8  
I'm having a bit of trouble on a Carthage P1 Multiplayer map.

Derek Martin's Carthaginian Civ Guide notes:
Carthaginian Academy units get +25% hit points.
Like the academy units, Carthage's Elephants also get +25% hit points. Affecting War Elephants as well as Elephant archers, this bonus is also one of the game's best. ...
Carthage is unique in the fact it has two Naval bonuses, Fire Galley has +25% attack
ARCHERY-Your best bet is to go with Ele archers.
ACADEMY-Carthage's Academy is excellent.

^The problem with the elephant strategy is that good gamers seem to win in tool or bronze, so I should focus on Hoplites.

The Fandom Strategy page for the Carthagians warns:
Like their Phoenician and Persian counterparts, the Carthaginians are strictly an Iron Age civilization since most of their bonuses can only be used to great effect during that age. As a result of the lack of economic bonuses, the Carthaginians are not particularly adept in games requiring economic development from scratch and quick early rushes compared to other more resourceful and booming civilizations
https://ageofempires.fandom.com/wiki/Carthaginians/Strategy

The good thing about the map, since it has a lot of water, is that it says, "The Carthaginians are suitable on land but are much better on maps featuring any body of water as long as it leads to the enemy base."

One of the Commentors noted the power of the Academy units:
Carthaginian Centurions are some of the most missile fire resistant units in the game. Bonus HP + Tower shield means you can spam them (unlike armored elephants) and have them take down enemy towers and fortifications without having to worry about annoying arrow fire.

[This message has been edited by rakovsky (edited 03-16-2021 @ 08:18 PM).]

posted 03-30-21 04:15 PM ET (US)     6 / 8  
Yeah, your analysis of the Carthaginian civ is pretty much correct. It's a civ which peaks in the Iron Age, and while they make lack some flexibility a great pick in particularly team DM games. I suppose they're alright on water, and their bonuses of strong expensive units and fast transports means they can succeed with some mad drops, however there they also struggle against civs such as Yammy or Minoans whose bonuses kick in a lot earlier than their Fire Galley attack.

Land RM is probably their worst game. A good bet might be hitting your opponent in Tool if you can find them and hope to cause some damage while you wall up behind it and try to move into your power units. However it is worth noting that the slow elephants and academy units will still struggle against mobile CA/HA civs. In DE, I believe Carthaginians were given a camel bonus to assist in this, and considering the relative weakness of Foot Archers and possibility to outmanouver infantry, that might even be a somewhat viable Bronze strategy in its own.

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 04-04-21 01:54 PM ET (US)     7 / 8  
Yes in DE Carths (and greeks) have been significantly buffed and if played well they could be mid tier...still far from the top but at least they could offer some fight now in RM.
posted 06-19-21 01:02 AM ET (US)     8 / 8  
Incredibly informative links and fallow up posts! Really appreciate these good insites into multiplayer.

I'm Completely new to AoE, played many other strategy titles that seem to be more polished overall, the blessing/curse of AoE is the fact that it appears deceptively simple however so much is going on under the hood that it's a hard game to master!

Absolutely going to continue to search the forums for more details like these!

Cheers
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoE Multiplayer Forum » Multiplayer guides for beginners
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames